Bike no 3

Cynic
This post is 2816 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well its here, a rather dubious trip in a borrowed trailer that was 'legal honest officer' and its home.

Not quite as I remember it, still the odd colour that appertains to be I don't know exactly what colour, Honestly I would prefer it back in the blue its supposed to be or a proper shade of the original 2 tone gold/white, clutch is stuck and the brakes do little if anything. Tyres are 30 years old.

She runs, badly, thanks to a worn ig advancer plate. and some epically gunged up carbs I think. Still its all there. I was thinking of running it up to squires but it needs too much work at the minute and it would be an epic rush with shortcuts.

My plan, tap Drewpy up for the number of the paint man that did his FZ or someone like. Then I need to rebuild both wheels with new spokes, new brakes, tyres and replace the clutch and the oil and fix the electric start. With a complete clean and as necessary change the rusted fasteners that need love. And acquaint myself with the polisher again:(.

Oh, sad fact, she has done less than 500 miles in 30 years and the longest single trip was just over 30.

Oh yeah, what is it? I hear, my dads CB175t, Its a couple of weeks younger than I am. He rebuilt it from a near wreck when I was 16, between you and me he enjoyed the building more than the riding. I know for a fact he had no love of the drum brake on the front.

Anyhow, only the 3rd non Yamaha I have had in 30 years of motorcycling.

• Like 4

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Brillian t ,   You know the rules "_-----------------------------:photo2:................................:whip:

• Like 2

nice, Andys bike services in Derby

you need to allow 6 month for a full respray though as he's really busy

www.andybikeservices.co.uk

07764 898222 and bring choc hob nobs

Yeah as above Cynic, YOU DON'T OWN IT TILL WE SEE THE PHOTOS !!! :photo2:

• Like 1

Here goes, the pictures are being quite generous tbh, or I'm picky.

4999bb88-52ba-4ee3-b4c6-23fe5490214a_zps

The failing paint on the tank.

21d7c4d8-16f6-4eb7-92dc-e6e8fe658058_zps

And the wheels?? Need shiny.....

594bd934-0b46-45b2-8495-02a727067ab1_zps

And the engine and its associated grotty fasteners..

0f07daf3-b629-4a39-bba3-0c7b6ff761e7_zps

Everything is just being eaten by time, the whole bike has seemingly just slipped through the last 20years, it hasn't much of any dirt from being ridden, but also as it was rebuilt its not caked in 30 years of rust and crap either. The little bit of damp and corrosion in the air is enough to have started everything down the road to destruction.

Everything is a little bit faded, a little bit corroded but without the patina of wear, little odd to look at. Should be nice next year though as its only light cosmetics.

Oh, my old mans one rule. Don't sell it.

• Like 3

Yep have to agree with your Dad DON'T sell it; is that the original paint colour? Looks like it just stepped out of an army video !!:lol:

• Like 1

Nah, its what my old man fancied painting it at the time, the wheels were gold when he got it too?

Tis all original though, except the front muddy (Actually CL175 the CB one has a cross brace each side), and the paint.

Anyway I really don't like the paint on the wheels, a set of stainless spokes will do the trick there, will be asking for tips on that one, and depending on cost I would like it to be the proper gold. If I'm honest i would prefer its original blue, it really pops as a colour but with due respect  to my old man, it was gifted after all I will probably go with the proper honda gold which was an option at the time with the blue and a red. Like I say rattle cans or professional depends on beer tokens.

No I'm not selling, I will put a bloody sight more miles on it than he did though. So mint showroom look is not wanted, more appreciated classic like my TDR.

• Like 4

thtas the way, make it a rider.

Honda Gold is a nice colour too

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 6:58 AM, slice said:

Yep have to agree with your Dad DON'T sell it; is that the original paint colour? Looks like it just stepped out of an army video !!:lol:

l think that's whats known as the "Erwins Afrika'' colour option

• Like 1

It is. I have ridden  it a few times. Feels like a 100cc bike weight wise but with some usefull go.

Tops out at about 80 maybe 85 with a tailwind. Has a lovely bark when used hard and the front drum is surprisingly good if used appropriately and properly adjusted. 

Apparently the old guard (brit pilots) were not impressed as these embarrased quite a few 'proper bikes'. Back in the day.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online