New forum memeber

Billy_
This post is 2795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys and gals. 

New to this forum though not to forums in general or motorbikes for that matter :) 

Just recently picked myself up a Yamaha YZF R125, and I must say I love it!

Previously I had a Civic Type R EP3, but moved house and lived so close to work I couldn't justify having it, so 2 years ago I done my CBT. New to bikes so didn't want to dive right in and make a big money investment, so picked up a brand new Lexmoto XTRS for £1100 (Chinese *burn incoming*). It was a great bike for learning on, but I'm 6"2 and it was just too small, so now with 2 years riding experience and communities to commuting on my bike I decided to make the plunge and invest some money in a "proper" bike. 

Doing a PhD in molecular and microbial biology, 23 years old and live in Medway. Any other riders in the area :) ?

So here I am, hello!

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Billy welcome to the YOC. :wavey:

• Like 1

Welcome in billy,  you being a tall lad ,the TT600  Like airheads  would fit you,  or the Tenere .  when you pass your test that is,, B)

Wow! 23 and already pursuing a doctorate?! You must be a diligent student and hard worker! :thumb:

Welcome aboard!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Welcome in billy,  you being a tall lad ,the TT600  Like airheads  would fit you,  or the Tenere .  when you pass your test that is,, B)

Haha thanks man, I'll bear that in mind, though not looking at doing my full license anytime soon :)

21 hours ago, Sacha said:

Wow! 23 and already pursuing a doctorate?! You must be a diligent student and hard worker! :thumb:

Welcome aboard!

Thanks man, it's hard work but I went straight from A Levels to my Degree then straight into Doctorate, no breaks haha. Some call me mad but better to do it whilst everything is fresh eh :)

20 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Greeting

Thanks!

5 hours ago, drewpy said:

:welcome:

Thanks!

• Like 1

Nice looking bike. :thumb:

On 18 July 2016 at 7:48 PM, drewpy said:

7cngOjq.jpg

Hey buddy, how did you manage to upload a picture direct? I tried and it said image file too large? Thank you for doing it for me!

On 19 July 2016 at 2:23 AM, Sacha said:

Nice looking bike. :thumb:

Thanks man, still adjusting to the different seating position and riding style, just got to put the hours in until I'm familiar :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Billy_ said:

Hey buddy, how did you manage to upload a picture direct? I tried and it said image file too large? Thank you for doing it for me!

Just right clicked on the picture and copy picture location.

IMG tagged the pasted link in the comments section.

Hi Billy, welcome in. YZF-R125's are one of my pet peeves - but I won't hold it against you :lol: I hope you have picked up some decent security for this as if I remember correctly it is one of the most frequently stolen bikes in the UK. If you need advice there are a few threads on YOC about locks/alarms etc.

On 20 July 2016 at 1:14 PM, drewpy said:

Just right clicked on the picture and copy picture location.

IMG tagged the pasted link in the comments section.

Thanks for the tip bud, I uploaded from my phone and couldn't find the IMG code to paste over! 

On 21 July 2016 at 10:01 PM, Malleus said:

Hi Billy, welcome in. YZF-R125's are one of my pet peeves - but I won't hold it against you :lol: I hope you have picked up some decent security for this as if I remember correctly it is one of the most frequently stolen bikes in the UK. If you need advice there are a few threads on YOC about locks/alarms etc.

Thanks Malleus! Out of curiosity why do you dislike the YZF-R125? And I sure have, Oxford disc lock, Mammoth security 20mm chain through the rear wheel and Oxford ground anchored, then another mammoth chain through the rear wheel and over the seat. And just had a thatcham approved hawk x50 alarm & immobiliser fitted today. Think all the chains may be a bit over the top, but it's all a deterrent eh! And as you said one of the most common bikes to be stolen in UK so id rather not take any chances and shave a minute or two off getting through the front door by not putting all the locks on

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Billy_ said:

Thanks for the tip bud, I uploaded from my phone and couldn't find the IMG code to paste over!

leave the picture on the website, that's where the location will be.

img tags look like {IMG}picture location goes here {/IMG}

had to use the squiggles either side of img, need to use [ ]

5 minutes ago, drewpy said:

leave the picture on the wensite, that's where the location will be.

img tags look like {IMG}picture location goes here {/IMG}

had to use the squiggles either side of img, need to use [ ]

Agh yes I understand, thanks bud

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:28 PM, Billy_ said:

Thanks Malleus! Out of curiosity why do you dislike the YZF-R125? And I sure have, Oxford disc lock, Mammoth security 20mm chain through the rear wheel and Oxford ground anchored, then another mammoth chain through the rear wheel and over the seat. And just had a thatcham approved hawk x50 alarm & immobiliser fitted today. Think all the chains may be a bit over the top, but it's all a deterrent eh! And as you said one of the most common bikes to be stolen in UK so id rather not take any chances and shave a minute or two off getting through the front door by not putting all the locks on

Wow - good to see you are security conscious! :lol: tbh nothing reasonable really - mainly it is the price for what you get I suppose. To me it seems like a lot of cash to part with for something you are running around on L plates and realistically likely to drop during this period and is likely to be stolen.... and being grumpy and judgemental, I have not been a fan of most of the riders I have met... but I'm sure you cant all be bad :D just a few bad impressions stick with me unfortunately!

On 26 July 2016 at 5:04 PM, Malleus said:

Wow - good to see you are security conscious! :lol: tbh nothing reasonable really - mainly it is the price for what you get I suppose. To me it seems like a lot of cash to part with for something you are running around on L plates and realistically likely to drop during this period and is likely to be stolen.... and being grumpy and judgemental, I have not been a fan of most of the riders I have met... but I'm sure you cant all be bad :D just a few bad impressions stick with me unfortunately!

Well it's better to be safe than sorry eh! Had a bit of a worry Last weekend,  this group of "dodgy" looking teens were looking at my bike and taking pictures 2 days in a row but legged it when I came out the house.... And there's been complaints of this group running in people's gardens, jumping fences and so on, so I'm on full alert! Can't say I've slept much haha:D

That's a fair reasoning, for me I started out on a cheap crappy Chinese cbr rep which I dropped multiple times and was blown over in the wind twice (stupid designed side stand; was spring loaded so as soon as you breathed on the bike the stand returned and drop goes the bike!), and to go to this is lovely. For me the learner plates are a bit of a downside, people assume your an absolute novice and they're not exactly pretty, but all I do is commute 15m to my lab where I do my PhD and the out on the weekends every now and then, can't warrant a full motorcycle license when a cbt is just £90 and I've been quoted approx £5-600 for a full license by 3 local test centres :( 

I'd definitely say I'm not your typical young lad who wants a bike and HAD to have a Yzf r125 right away and acts the tool, but that's down to your judgment mr grumpy :) haha

• Like 2