Clutchless Upshifting!

JohnR6
This post is 6522 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been doing them since last Friday going home from work and it's really smooth! :)

I only do them when accelerating hard though, as I tried to do them while going at normal speed and the gears just doesn't want to go in. So if I'm not accelerating hard doing town riding and stuff, then I use the clutch to shift.

Also, I've been blipping the throttle when shifting down too, works really well especially when it's wet as it stops your back end from fish tailing when their's too much touque in a lower gear shifting down.

Do you guys do this? And is Clutchless upshifts OK for my bike, it seems a lot smoother than shifting up using the clutch.......so I guess it's good right? :mellow:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why do it? It's not doing your bike any good. The clutch is there for a reason.

As you said "Why do it? It's not doing your bike any good. The clutch is there for a reason." That's what I thought at first but clutchless upshifts are so smooth and you don't get that "lurching" movement when doing it. And when you're accelerating hard, it gives you more time to concentrate on accelerating and moving forward, rather than spending a second or two pulling the clutch in, changing gear and then letting the clutch out again. That's what I was told my a Police rider last week so I gave it a go. But clutchless "Downshifts" are definitely a NO NO.

It's OK for the cop to say that, he's not the one who has to pay for repairs on his bike.

I know you have a warranty but if a failure occurs due to owner abuse then you're out on a limb.

Lot's of people do it, or claim to when they are 'really going for it', but whether it will harm the gearbox I don't know. As stated previously, the clutch is there for a reason.

What I do know is that if you need to do it to smooth upward gear changes then you should go out and practice doing them properly before you start trying 'advanced techniques'. What I also know is that if you are doing them on the road then you are probably going to find that the acceleration of an R6 gets you into a tight situation which will end in tears. If you want to smooth out your upward gear changes then try 'shortshifting'. Don't rev the balls off the motor but change up before the rev counter starts trying to overtake itself, in the area where the torque is at it's strongest. Ask any pillion, that makes for much smother changes and a smoother more comfortable ride.

Frankly, if you are on a racetrack then it's probably worth doing to save those microseconds, but on the road it's worthless and senseless.

Just my tuppence worth.

Andy

Frankly, if you are on a racetrack then it's probably worth doing to save those microseconds, but on the road it's worthless and senseless.

Spot on Andy! You can have the flavour of the month bike, dress up in a Power Ranger's costume, wear a Darth Vadar visor, hang off like a baboon, and do all the clutchless upshifts you want.

But you're just going to end up feeling like a Twat when some old bloke riding an unfashionable POS bike in classic Hailwood style dissapears over the horizon in the blink of an eyelid.

I was reading on another forum this berk advocating clutchless shifting as if it were an advanced motorcycle technique. He fell into the 'berk' category, however, when he went on to state that he regularly wheelied as a demonstration of his 'total' control of his machine.

I, at that point, decided that clutchless shifting anywhere than in a race situation is for dickwads. As was pointed out it's ok for moto gp riders to do it as they have their bikes totally re-built after every ride - a luxury not all of us can afford!!

Got to admit i do clutchless changes all the time :blink: Im not saying its ok for the machine but if done right you can get the power down smoothly,i would say its a more lazy way of up shifting really that a advanced riding skill as its not excatly rocket sicence is it? :D

Spot on Andy! You can have the flavour of the month bike, dress up in a Power Ranger's costume, wear a Darth Vadar visor, hang off like a baboon, and do all the clutchless upshifts you want.

But you're just going to end up feeling like a Twat when some old bloke riding an unfashionable POS bike in classic Hailwood style dissapears over the horizon in the blink of an eyelid.

And ain't it kind of strange how often that happens, too ;)

Andy

you should try clutchless upshiffting in a peugeot 206 turbo diesel its a right laugh :D

That was my impression of a 206 turbo diesel doing a clutchless upshift. You mean you couldn't tell? :D

no mate theres no sound believe it or not it literally falls in to gear if you tap throttle slightly before doing and as revs drop it just drops into gear without clutch....its handy cause amount of tomes mate have done therre clutches in on there cars and theyt get me to drive them back obviously on pull of you whack into first turn the key and it ups and goes easily but as car jumps and bounces whilst doing this you get some funny looks lol oh and stopping is easy just push it into neutral brake then turn car off then start in first again to move off :D

Sports bikes like the R6 have clutchless upshifting taken into account at design stage, and is not going to harm your bike. Best way is before you change gear, put a little pressure on the lever and then when you ease off the accelerator for that nanosecond it will shift nicely. It may be lazy but it saves the drive chain and the clutch from jolts and wear that you get on the higher revving bikes during gear changes.

Try gear changing full stop with or without the clutch on an ERF truck with 8 speed crash box (no syncro)

drove one a few years ago takes a bit of geting used too double declutch etc

merv

Guest Tomg

hmm clutchless shifting doesn't make sense to me really. the clutch is there for a reason and like pete says if it affects your warranty due to user misuse then just to save a microseconds doesn't seem worht it to me. but thats just my view. and with 600cc sitting under my ass soon i don't think im going to be that bothered!!

you should try clutchless upshiffting in a peugeot 206 turbo diesel its a right laugh :D

hahaha!!!