Dragster trouble

Ove
This post is 2643 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

The battery earths to the engine (behind left hand engine side cover) and the engine earths to the frame ,no rubber engine mounts here!.....thinking about it,I had a similiar problem with my old virago,showing spark at the plugs but not starting...replaced the plugs  and away it went..can only think the plugs wouldn't work under combustion pressure...might be worth a try?......if not just pull the engine,get it on a workbench,pull both heads and start from scratch...it was sold with a problem and the only way to get to the bottom of it is to get drastic(maybe)....my offer still stands if you want a second opinion by the way.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
1 hour ago, Ove said:

Here's a bit of an up date but not much. Cleaned all the conections. Coils etc. Checked pipes again and replaced manifold. put back together. And still nothing. It sounds like it wants to start but just doesn't. Is there anything more I can try before I start delving into the cylinders. As that's going to start getting expensive quickly. Urgh and it's really good weather for a ride too. I still can't find an earth from the battery to the frame. But if it needed one why would it start before without one. 

Its not expensive if your doing it, ok maybe the headgaskets will be a loss but otherwise (if you used a smear of grease on one side of the gaskets) everything will come off ok. The only bit that will cost is the problem and if that is a tooth on the chain its free.

At the minute its 150kg door stop, worst decision is the one you don't make.

• Like 1

Oh the decision was made when I bought the thing that I was in it for the long run. But at that time the scooter hadn't broke its crank shaft and I didn't have a baby on the way. And my wonderful other half has put up with me being every waking hour Available in that garage to get her done and to be honest I was all ready at the limit she can take me being away by the mot. and now it really has got to that point 3 months till due date. I now have to finish the house and lots to do. I can probably squeeze a few more days in on the bike but my heads on the chopping block. 

Robbo yes if you could spare a bit of time I would really appreciate that. To chat to some one face to face about this bike who knows them would really be helpful. 

Nice one Robbo, great when folks help out. :thumb:

Thank you robbo. That would be really good and much apreciated. Thursday afternoon/ evening I will be free.  I will email you. 

I will fair worn the pregnant lady that I'm working on the bike. Lol. 

Quick update for those interested.....Tea was drunk,hobnobs were munched and with a bit of jiggery-pokery it fired up.......but the smokey semi-dead rear cylinder and the noise/harshness meant it wasn't for long..looks like two issues then,rings/valves on rear cyl and what we think is an oil supply problem,maybe a blocked pick up.

More tea was drunk,hobnobs were polished off ...so we then pulled the engine,drained the oil and got it ready for stripdown...will follow soon.

Its a damn nice bike...proper job done and all that.....just keep the faith mate! 

• Like 1

Well done Robbo your a star  mate.

Thank you robbo. Your visit was really apreciated and very helpful. It's really good to see someone that knows these bikes work on them. I learnt a lot that evening. I have now started stripping the engine down and trying not to get over whelmed by it. But really good to have people on hand thank you again to the forum and robbo. 

• Like 1

Quick update! 

after another visit from robbo and my engine in pieces we have come to the decision that my engine has been abused so badly that it really is not worth saving. The cylinders are scratched. Piston rings shot. Probably cam rods. Front cam chain. Valves lapping. Hairline cracks in the clutch basket. Lots of rust  

then we managed to get off the sump bolt. Killer blow! There was so much mettal flake in there it wasn't worth going any further.  

So anyone got an engine!

That sucks! Sorry to hear it. :(

I can't seem to find any engines just high milage ones. Really thinking about putting a virago 125 or Sachs roadster 125 one in. They seem to be coming up. There also a lot cheaper on parts and I know the mounts are the same.  Is it a slower engine?

image.jpeg

Hi Mate...they are both rated as the same horsepower, as far as I can see,so performance wise they are the same...differences that I can see are final drive sprocket is bigger on virago (15t to 14t),maybe to do with the weight of the bike,and a question mark on the timing trigger electrics.,its got the same connectors so should plug in,whether it works or not don't know?.use the dragstar inlet and carb and control unit...got any further with engine search?

• 5 months later...

As Ove (Ian) is busy out riding I thought I would update thread quickly....old engine shot,oil pickup blocked....built up engine(with bills) and rolling chassis,(abandoned project), located and brought,chassis sold on...engine checked ,stripped to find bills don't apply to this one,no new pistons!..not to worry though as is engine basically good,a set of rings,a valve job and it was in and running..only one gear though...a selector shaft juggle sorted that out..and it's done and out on the road....Ian is well chuffed with it,did all of the work himself, learning as he went..well deserved thumbs up mate!

• Like 2

Thats good news. Sucks about the receipt though.

Sellers like that are theives pure and simple. 

Nice one!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online