Help...weird delayed spark...no start 125 Virago

sarandro
This post is 2823 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Airhead,

Can't get a manual for the 125, 

Will check resistance tomorrow, though.

Did open up to see stator (magnet thingy?) to check the three white wires from the CDI...all OK

Now I know where that majigga is situated!!!

Learning everyday!!

Cool, another red brown greener!

Do you know if your viggy has ever had an engine rebuild? im just thinking wether or not the timing is out? but im guessing that she ran fine before this power cut, in which case the timing will be fine.

Did you find out about this rouge spark coming from the HT lead to top of engine? If your close to Yeovil and can get the bike down here i'd have a look for you (extra pair of eyes and all that)

Hi Noise,

Thanks for the kind offer ...we're way up north, could do with a fresh pair of eyes though but!!!

Rogue spark was from split HT lead which we have cut back and fixed the problem

Checked ALL electrics for resistance again this morning...all are OK, we're stumped!

We have ordered a new CDI unit from China in the hope that this will solve the problem as we can't figure out what else it could be.

Cheers, Sarah

PS she ran OK before everything went melty!

Sounds like wiring gremlins to me, I had a similar problem a couple years ago, spark was also very weak. It turned out to be those white wires from the static coil  were oil soaked and when tested separately appeared to be fine but was bleeding current across, once I changed the wires problem solved, 

• Like 1

Are all the plugs on the wiring loom clean? The pins could have become carbon'd up after the power surge thus not giving a good connection. Take them all off (1 by 1) spray some electrical cleaner in there which you can get from Maplins and give them a good clean with a cotton bud.

• Like 1

Have you got any accessories  on the bike like heated grips ? Only asking cos mine melted my fuses which can also cause problems further down the loom and can be a bugger to find.

20 hours ago, Noise said:

Cool, another red brown greener!

Do you know if your viggy has ever had an engine rebuild? im just thinking wether or not the timing is out? but im guessing that she ran fine before this power cut, in which case the timing will be fine.

Did you find out about this rouge spark coming from the HT lead to top of engine? If your close to Yeovil and can get the bike down here i'd have a look for you (extra pair of eyes and all that)

Have you seen the "are you willing to help" thread in the bar

Thanks Guys, I live near Guisborough North Yorkshire, don't know if there is a map to show where everyone lives.

We tested the white wires from the stator and checked all connections, all seem fine.

Going to get a replacement CDI and see if anyone's got another 125 Virago to test it against

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone...

After buying a new CDI igniter from China...started first time! BUT a  bit of a burning smell came from the unit.

All still works though....have I still got a problem?

Still can't use it at the moment cos of faulty gasket on generator cover...oil leaked out, got a new one BUT

Husband away working.... so is this something I can do on my own ?

I will need to take off the gear lever and peg etc?

Any advice very welcome...all your experience is appreciated

Sarah

Hi Sarah, Well at least you got the bike started but I wouldn't trust all the tea in china (pardon the pun) buying one from there. I assuming you used ebay?

Hi Mr Tone... Yes, couldn't find one anywhere else....it's blown already...no spark again!!

Back to square 1

At least I put my new gasket on and stopped the oil leak

Has anyone got a source for another CDI??

Fed up now!!

Thanks, Sarah

Hi Cynic,

A rookie mistake I think!!!

Just frustrated I can't  get back on the road, being a beginner and just getting the hang of it all and now no blooming bike

I never thought that I would be so upset

Thanks for the advice though

Cheers, Sarah