Advice on Swapping fuel tanks on a XVS650

The Dementor
This post is 2858 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've got a fuel leak as my tank has corroded so I'm looking to replace the tank. I have a 98 XVS 650 Dragstar but am unsure if a newer model tank would still fit. There are a few on Ebay, from the States but many are listed as 2000 +. Does anybody know which tanks I may be able to use.

Also if anybody knows anywhere in the UK I may be able to pick one up, please let me know. I have tried Partfinder and got one possible but hoping for something a little cheaper and better condition.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

Just a note, have you looked into having the existing tank refurbished, there are some places advertised in various publications that will cut out damaged areas scour the tank out and weld them up as good as new, some will coat the tank inside and paint the tank on the outside, I was given a ball park quote of £200 for my DT tank with a two week turnaround

I just for the life of me cannot recall where from,

• Like 1

These people have a good rep, http://mts-motorcycles.co.uk/services/fuel-tank-repairs/ at least worth a call to see what they can do and get a price.

A 2001 fit my '99 model just fine.

They're a bit of a fiddle until you know what you're doing, but it's pretty straightforward.

I still got my old one in the loft you can have. It has had dents repaired after some twat drove through my garden fence. Just needs sanding down and painting. 

Pm if your interested 

Your very welcome buddy, sorry I couldn't give you the brew as promised but with both our school runs looming I knew we'd get chatting and there would be two kids wandering around trying to find us haha.

Hopefully it's gets you going again. 

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online