Wheel Alignment

DeeG
This post is 2866 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

The newbie is here again.

I have my first manual bike after having a scooter for 4 years, and I am trying to get used to checking the chain tension......and it isn't going very well!!!!

I checked the tension and according to Haynes Manual it was too tight so I have adjusted it to what it says, however I don't think the wheels are aligned now.  Is there an easy way of finding this out, I have tried the string way and this is so fiddly I'm not confident it has worked.

I think it is out of alignment as when I'm riding along the front wheel feels light  - and ive lost my confidence going round sharp corners because a couple times it felt insecure.

Sorry about the rubbish email as I'm crap at explaining.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What bike is it.

use a vernier caliper at the adjuster to rear of swingarm and match them up either side. If you are really not sure about the correct slack in chain, just make sure you do it at its titest spot (then dab some tippex on there for future, also handy for oiling so you don't over oil chain)

there is a gadet out there called tension monkey or summat like that, google it

• Like 2

My rear wheel is position such that i can measure between the pillion peg mounts on the frame. When they are the same, the wheel is true.

1 hour ago, drewpy said:

use a vernier caliper at the adjuster to rear of swingarm and match them up either side. If you are really not sure about the correct slack in chain, just make sure you do it at its titest spot (then dab some tippex on there for future, also handy for oiling so you don't over oil chain)

Yip, I also use verniers. Good tip about tippex. I tend to click the bike into 1st gear and spray liberal amounts, wasting most of the chain lube

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online