Just bought my first bike, not sure about the mods...

Tombstone
This post is 2800 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I just bought my first bike, a 1998 Yamaha V Star 650.  This is where I get a little confused though, it has some mods done to it and I really don't know what they are, lol.  I know the seller told me it was lowered, has a "Bobber Kit" and a Hyper Charger, and he changed the exhaust and all the lighting.  What exactly is a Bobber Kit, and what does the Hyper Charger do? Also, I would like to add a passenger seat eventually to this bike, if possible, and how would I go about that? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

qtZODAa.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there , that's cool B)  , bobber kit will be flat bars &  rear fender etc, . seat to I think,  the XV boys will chime in , soon ,:welcome:

Thanks! Like I said, have no idea about any of this, lol.  I loved the look of the bike (and the price) and as a shorter stocky guy it was super easy to get on being lowered. I would love to add some of my own flare to it eventually, but for now I'll ride as is.

Im not into cruisers but that has a really good vibe. Just enough bling but subtle understatement too.

Matt paint, flat hubs. More mods on there than you can see i think. Need the cruising fans ':blink:' to tell us though.

Whoever had that prevoiusly had a good eye. Most times the look like they were dipped in glue and run through the sparkly shop.

Nice.

Bet slice likes it.

• Like 3

This is the sort of thing they are talking about. NewPipes2.jpg

You can buy it from most decent bike shops or off the net. it's best if you take the pipes off but it can be done with them on but you get a better wrap if you do it off the bike

Titanium_Exhaust_Wrap.jpgVarious sizes available. Should cost about £10 to £15 quid a roll.

there's a knack to do 'em too. Need soaking in water for a few hours and wear gloves as they are as itchy as Fook.

start from the engine and work your way down not more that 1/2 width (gets tricky on bends)

did my tracker and they still look good and "lived in"

Great, thanks for the info! What about things like adding a rear seat, or changing the tank? Would this be fairly easy to do or something more intermediate to advanced?Id love to be able to take the kids around the block on the bike, and the tank has quite a few dings in it, but don't want to get in over my head with projects that I shouldnt attempt myself. lol. 

Do one thing then move on to the next, if you try to do to much it get's complicated really quickly!

You could try these - I have never used them but they have been recommended in the past,

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xvs650_model16860/

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/xvs_650_a_drag_star_classic/07/

and this for how to do it

http://650ccnd.com/ht.htm

Hi Tombstone, 

I don't know if you can add a rear seat without reinstalling a stock rear fender. A "Bobber" or a bike that has been "bobbed", is an old fashioned term for cutting bits off a bike to make it lighter. It was a very blue-collar / working class thing to do in the States back in the 40's and 50's, when a lot of army surplus bikes were going cheap.  

So one of the things that got "bobbed" off was the rear fender, which was usually cut short, and the rear seat removed.

It might be possible to stick a rear seat pad on to that fender, *if* the stock girder has been kept underneath the fender. If not... then you'll have to get one, along with a stock fender. I'd go 2nd hand and respray matt black to match the rest. 

• Like 1

Toutsuite, thank you for the info! my wife is begging me to get a second seat so I can take her out, but to be honest, I want to get comfortable riding on my own first before I dare take out a passenger.  I'll take a look and see if the stock girder is still there or not.  I guess I would have to get some pegs installed too to get her on the bike right?

• Like 1

Yep, she'll need pegs if she's to ride pillion. I'd suggest getting her on her own bike. :eusa_shifty: 

3 hours ago, Tombstone said:

Sacha, we actually talked about that! lol.  Thing is, I have no room for another bike! lol. Maybe I'll buy her a Grom lol.

I totally understand... Was only teasing. Those little groms are bad ass. My cousin loves hers. :thumb:

Lovely looking bob buddy! You could have fitted a custom made fanny pad for her to sit on. All you would have needed was a good bit of sheet steel cut into a rectangle to the size of your choice.  Drill 4 holes in each corner and insert 4 suction cups into the holes. Put on some self adhesive foam (cheap on eBay)  and comes in any thickness you want. Shape the foam then cover it in motorbike seat vinyl which again is about a tenner on eBay. Then it just sticks on or pops off when you want it.

Only problem is that it seams the previous owner has cut off the pillion foot peg brackets so unless you are willing to weld a new set on I'm afraid this baby is all for you to enjoy to yourself :)

On 14/06/2016 at 4:05 AM, Toutsuite said:

Hi Tombstone, 

I don't know if you can add a rear seat without reinstalling a stock rear fender. 

Thankfully tout the previous owner has only cut off the rear part of the stock fender and part of the brackets that hold it up so all is good to fit a pillion pad. Just that the peg brackets have been hacked off.

(from what I can see and remember from Betty)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2016 at 3:39 PM, drewpy said:

there's a knack to do 'em too. Need soaking in water for a few hours and wear gloves as they are as itchy as Fook.

start from the engine and work your way down not more that 1/2 width (gets tricky on bends)

did my tracker and they still look good and "lived in"

no no no, you start at the tail end of the pipe and work your way to the engine, otherwise the wrap overlaps get full of road poop and come loose, also wrap the retailing wire in the opposite direction, or that will allow the wrapping to come loose as well.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online