From 125 to 1000

Guardy97
This post is 2862 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

is just up to you. I jump from 125 to 950 but cruisers not sport. for me, was a great jump. you should be ok if you are not a maniac and you already have some xp with the bikes on the road.

Would you like a pine or oak coffin.

Not joking. Things like that r1 can go to shit in a heartbeat.

Have you had as a tiny example:

Tail slide

Front slide

Tank slap

Highside

Lowside

Unintentional wheelies

Locked front

Locked rear

The list is long and exhaustive and they all happen a fuck sight faster for far less effort on a 1000cc sportsbike than smaller stuff.

Me? Biggest i have owned is a 600. Ridden a 1200 and a vmax. Never felt i needed more than the 600.

For what its worth i have a 250 and 2 175's and if you only just got your test you will kill yourself trying to catch my TDR if its ridden fast.

Last choice is yours. You may be the sensible 1% but most of the motorcyclists you see will have done the 125. 250/400 to 600 then up route.

Do you really want the hassle of a bike that fast. Unless your thinking FJ that makes more sense and get what you like in a cruiser as their just for show.

125 to 1000. Its a no from me.

• Like 2

Guardy, you say in another thread you're doing your A2 licence, so most litre bikes will be out of your reach anyway. Remember you're only allowed 47bhp on an A2 and any restriction can only be from a maximum of 94bhp - native power cannot exceed double the restricted amount.

Soooo that R1 streetfighter you had a shot of would be right out of order. How much of a ride did you get to prove your competence? Round the car park, Land's End to John O'Groats, chip shop and back?

Bit of advice, work your way up, you'll live longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lallasro said:

what? cruisers for show? so I should keep them in the garage? :D

To show off. Your hardly shy and unnoticed on that tank las.

Am assuming you mean you're thinking of an R1 not just saying you've ridden one?? If so, be honest with yourself about why you want a 1000cc R1 and whether you *need* one. If it's because it'll go stupidly fast I'd say don't bother - you'll either hurt yourself or loose your licence.

I went from a 125 cruiser to a 1300 cruiser (initially restricted to 33bhp via a throttle restriction) and that shifted. I'm glad it was restricted whilst I got used to the change, then when I had the restriction removed it was like getting a new bike

5 hours ago, Guardy97 said:

Is it wise to jump onto a 1000 from a 125

Short answer is no, if your thinking of a sports bike NO, Iv'e seen too many inexperienced riders get tempted by that power only to find that shit can and will happen real fast.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KirriePete said:

Guardy, you say in another thread you're doing your A2 licence, so most litre bikes will be out of your reach anyway. Remember you're only allowed 47bhp on an A2 and any restriction can only be from a maximum of 94bhp - native power cannot exceed double the restricted amount.

Soooo that R1 streetfighter you had a shot of would be right out of order. How much of a ride did you get to prove your competence? Round the car park, Land's End to John O'Groats, chip shop and back?

Bit of advice, work your way up, you'll live longer.

I was just wondering was all as I felt good on the 1000, so feeling good on that I know I will be on a a2 licenced bike :)

A2 licence is great and you have soooo many options in the world of motorcycles.

An R1 is very much a 1 trick pony. By the time you have some saddle time i doubt it will have the same appeal.

16 hours ago, Guardy97 said:

Is it wise to jump onto a 1000 from a 125, I've ridden a r1 street fighter before and felt pretty compitant?

Not while it's moving kid .  Just kidding .  Seriously , there is a world of difference between a 125 custom and a 1000cc race rep . Do you use your bike for commuting in traffic ?   If so an R1 will break your back and hurt you wrists , and that's if you don't crash it .  And dont forget , tyres , brakes , chain and sprockets all cost multiples of what they do for the small bike .  Having said all that , any bike can be ridden at walking pace if need be . So , it's up to you , but my advice would be to go the 400/600 route . ( I loved my VFR400 and I don't think I've ever ridden a better handling bike , and they'll do 60mph in 1st gear ) Do you really need an R1 right now ??

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online