Dragstar rear brake lever high.

jimmysheffield
This post is 2861 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have a look at the pivot, i reckon the lever will be splined onto the pivot shaft. There is likely to be a mark on the face of the shaft, that needs to line up with the split on the lever. If theres no marks, you could try undoing the clamp screw, pulling the lever off, and moving round a tooth or two to suit

• Like 2

Usually a threaded adjuster on the master cylinder shaft

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As neversaydie said the way to adjust this one is to follow the brake bar from the pedal back, untill you come to the connection link which has a 10mm bolt, undo the bolt and pull off the link, now pivot the link left or right depending which way moves the pedal down. when your happy where the pedal is put the link back onto the spline and put the 10mm bolt back in.

5 minute job

• Like 2

Don't know if this is the case with a 400 - it is with a 650 - but you may need to adjust the brake light switch to activate at the appropriate point.

• Like 2

On May 23, 2016 at 1:36 PM, neversaydie said:

Have a look at the pivot, i reckon the lever will be splined onto the pivot shaft. There is likely to be a mark on the face of the shaft, that needs to line up with the split on the lever. If theres no marks, you could try undoing the clamp screw, pulling the lever off, and moving round a tooth or two to suit

That's the shift lever, ya?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sacha said:

Ya      Sounding like a 1990s London yuppie there Sach

Ya      Sounding like a 1990s London yuppie there Sach

Woops... I'm no yuppie... I'm a DINK (double income no kids). :biglaugha:although... I might fit yuppie by definition too. :eusa_shifty:

• Like 2

It is his rearbrake the OP is on about.  It is a drum brake and adjustment, as has been noted above is all done with lock nuts and threaded bar. ;)

Its nothing to do with the drum brake fella. its all to do with the bar that links the pedal to the next bar that leads to the drum brake lever.

found a video on tubeyou that shows how to do it. (skip to 3:55)

that's what I said - adjust with locknuts on threaded bar.  I was sort of agreeing with earlier post but you can do it all from just under the footbrake.  You don't need to take off silencers - I didn't on my 650 but the 400 may be different

Sorry mate are you able to show us what you mean as I'm finding it hard to picture where you mean about adjusting it from the lock nuts on threaded bar and even more so with the bit under the foot brake.

From what I remember from Betty was:

Only threaded bar on this system was at the rear which the locking nuts push against the drum brake leaver which takes up the slack as and when your brake shoes start to ware. (Does not move the pedal enough for height)

The foot pedal is on a piece of round bar and is fixed by a M6 dome head bolt that only stops it slipping off the end. Thus meaning there is no way of adjusting the height of the pedal at this point.

The only place that I know you can adjust the height of this pedal is to take off the bracket (you see in the video) turn it a few teeth and put it back on. 

I think I have a slightly differnt system which is causing the confusion, sorry about that Noise

I've got footboards - and there is a pedal height adjuster under the forward controls.  I don't need to shift the bracket on the drum.

The nut at the brake drum end, as you say just affects the pedal free play.

• Like 1

Ah i see haha, its ok bud i was just sat here trying to picture what you was you was describing.

That must make life a fair bit easier with that adjuster. I too am not 100% sure if the 400 is the same as the 650's. i know the 125 has a very similar set up on the rear brake to the 650 so i would like to think they kept the same thing troughout the range