Front end swap

Joshmcs
This post is 2734 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well unfortunately my bike burnt down and I'm literally starting again. Xvs front ends are coming up pretty pricey and I was after something a little narrower than the stock front. I do still have the legs though as they were untouched by the fire. So really all I need is the yolks 

What has actually happened to the front end then bud? sorry to hear about the fire but i can't see how it could have damaged the yolk in such a way your can't still use it? did it melt?

As said you can make almost anything fit, its just a case of getting the head stock bearing to fit which could end up resulting in milling out the head stock to get (say the xj) bearing to fit the XVS.

If its just the yolk thats damaged then you will need to measure the stanchions (chrome bits of the legs, which i "think" are 54mm diameter???) then measure the bar on the bottome yolk which slides up through the frame to join it to the top yolk, measure the diameter and length.

Once you have these two dimentions you can then try and find a set that matches what you need. This will then save you having to fart about changing the bearing.

As said you can make anything fit, what I would worry about is what will happen to the geometry and the handling by fitting something not matched to the bike.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that due to the top yolk being cast aluminium it became brittle under heat and then a roof joist must've fallen on it as its sheared off either side of the clamp. So I'm without yolks haha. The fork legs still look intact though. Are custom yolks much narrower than classic? As I said I just want to go for something a little skinnier. Really appreciate the help 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got a front end sorted (actually two front ends), now I'm in desperate search of a rear wheel and final drive unit, can't find anything on eBay apart from America. Might try a virago rear instead? 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online