Road Racing

nigel smith
This post is 2872 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I spent today watching the BBC coverage of the North West 200. I love watching the road racing the TT the northwest the ulster but after more than one red flag incident I started to feel uneasy about watching it. we love to see the speed and danger but are the riders taking to much of a risk. Then heartbreakingly the day ended with the death of a twenty year old lad.

R.I.P  Malachi Mitchell-Thomas

I just wanted to know what  every ones thoughts are about racing on the roads

nige

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

aw no. Malachi was the up and coming star too, very young.

RIP

same as the IOM TT, its something the riders love doing though and I still watch it for the racing, not the carnage.

Road racing is all about risk and reward, no one who gets on their bike and rides these things is thinking about crashing they are and always will be immortal in their own minds, if you ban it they will just do it anyway. It's a triumph over fear and the greatest rush you can ever know, imagine riding down your local high street with lamp posts going by at 150mph and 3 other lunatics right beside you, I would do it again in a heart beat, this getting old sucks!

52 minutes ago, slice said:

Road racing is all about risk and reward, no one who gets on their bike and rides these things is thinking about crashing they are and always will be immortal in their own minds, if you ban it they will just do it anyway. It's a triumph over fear and the greatest rush you can ever know, imagine riding down your local high street with lamp posts going by at 150mph and 3 other lunatics right beside you, I would do it again in a heart beat, this getting old sucks!

Yep, I was on my Suzuki on the mountain at the TT, mad sunday. I will never forget it and my lasting memory is hitting the limiter on the mountain and wanting more at 150mph being passed by bikes doing 40mph more.

If you could put it in a bottle you would be a billionaire.

The difference between living and existing. Not forgetting he dies doing what he loved, beats fading out in a hospital.

• Like 3

I remember my first trackday. I was buzzing for days afterwards. I think its wanting the thrill, see how far you can push yourself, and of course, most men are are competitive. We cant stop ourselves. The riders know the risks, track racing is less risk as theres no street furniture. His family and friends will be absolutely devastated, but road racing will go on

l think its called  ''The warrior gene'', if you don't have it, you don't get it. l banned myself from the road for 10 years due to ''throttle control issues'', Back last year at the ripe old age off 49 on a R1,  nothings changed accept im a little slower, and i put that down to only riding on the road 6mts of the year.

The only thing that surprises me is that the nanny state hasn't put the kibosh to it yet. oh wait, its Sunday.

• Like 1

Hi all

It has been good to read all the replies. I think all of you have basically said what I was thinking. you could never stop the riders its in there make up and I will carry on watching the racing but my thoughts go out to the lad who died and also the injured.

nige

the boys dad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/36296469?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cynic said:

The difference between living and existing. Not forgetting he dies doing what he loved, beats fading out in a hospital.

I'll take fading out in a hospital after raising a family, hopefully see them flourish, maybe grandkids if I'm lucky and many great times with my friends and family

R.I.P  Malachi Mitchell-Thomas , died doing what he loved but missed so much more

• Like 1

I'd prefer to go like that than becoming some mad elderly bloke who's losing his mind. Unfortunate it happened but it did, doesn't mean road racing should end. If we banned something every time it killed someone we'd have nothing. Stopping people doing things like this would be stopping them from living, who are the government to stop them anyway, they know the risks.

• Like 1