fuel tank leak

petercnm
This post is 2900 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone,

have been very quiet, but still reading posts. But now i need some advice.

I had my bike (xvs 650) painted a short while ago, and now i seem to have a leak on the fuel selector valve. Difficult to pinpoint exactly where.

Strangely the stuff leaking looks more like oil (a bit yellowish) than fuel. smells like fuel though, and i cannot imagine it being something else.

I removed the valve (thats what i think its called) with the 2 screws, and later just put it back.

Was i suppose to change any seals or so?

thx

Peter

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

did you use yellow primer? if there is any seal, this  can lost his property because of the heat from engine so I guess  this is the point you should start. is looking like this maybe? http://yambits.co.uk/xvs650-dragstar-fuel-tap-tank-ring-p-26118.html

user noise should know ... ah, wait, he fit a toaster on his drag :icon_twisted:

• Like 3

As above, the seal get's crushed after a few years and needs replacing and make sure the seal surface is clean even to the point of scraping the paint off as metal to metal is best. You can use a fuel proof sealer if it's really necessary.

O and here we go with the toaster haha.

Get yourself the fuel tap repair kit which will have all the seals needed to stop the leak,