Jog help needed!

onlynay
This post is 2884 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm DUMB as far as technical things go, and get my scoot serviced once a year to keep it on track.

It got looked at in December and all was fine, but its now playing up.

The starter button won't start it anymore and I have to kick-start it.  (Once I've kickstarted it, if I stop and go to a shop or something, it'll start from the starter button then)

When I press the starter button it'll do a chug chug chug thingy but nothing else. 

Any advice?

Also it spits blue smoke when I drive off.  I've been told this is too much oil, but she got a drink about a month ago, and was fine until this last week.

Thanks for helping a complete idiot!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First your NOT an idiot for not knowing the answer, we all learn and with help from friends you can get to understand your bike, your fault sounds like a loose connection but as your unskilled in these things I would advise you go back to your mechanic and ask him/her to look at it, then ask if you can watch what he/she does, that way you get it fixed and learn how to repair it yourself if it happens again. Plus if it's puffing smoke then get that looked at as well, better to cure a small problem than wait for it to become a large one. Good luck. :D

Blue smoke is definitely oil. Is it a 2 smoker or a 4 banger? If 2 then a bit of blue is ok, if 4 then it ain't.

You say it got a drink last month, if it's a 4 banger make sure you haven't overfilled the sump. Too much oil will get pumped out the breather into the air filter and could cause starting/running problems.

You're welcome.

• Like 1

Sounds like it needs a service .  It takes about an hour to service the thing but learning how to do it in an hour takes years lol. Welcome to the forum . Try charging the battery and a new spark plug , maybe someone you know could give you a hand ?

Awesome thanks guys, I'll try this stuff.  She's a 2 stroke, so won't worry about the smoke.  Will pop back to the service centre and see what they say.  The spark plug got replace just over a year ago, you reckon it might be that again?

Not sure how old the battery is :/  I have a feeling it might be the original (2007).  I'm gonna have to find the funds, and go to the service center again :)

Get the service center to check the battery before you replace it, unless you have a mate with a multimeter then just check to see what the battery state is with that. At rest it should read between 12.5 and 13 volts if it's ok then run the engine and see if it goes up to about 14.5 volts when under load. If it does then the battery is ok, also check the battery liquid level if it's not a sealed unit that is.

• Like 1

personally Id say 100% its the battery, the whirring noise is a dead give away if it works after a ride!! iv had it on a few scooters, its definitely the battery thats f**ked, its not holding its charge and draining straight away, and then after you've been riding it and the bikes been charging it a bit itll stay charged for maybe 30-45mins and then its drained again. you can pick up a budget battery from Halfords for £15 that's all you'll need for a scoot.

its a 2 stroke so don't be too worried about it smoking if its not affecting the performance of the bike, it could be anything as simple as whoever serviced it has used different oil to its used to so is smoking a bit more. ask the service station what oil was used in it would be my first suggestion, each to their own but i only ever use Castrol or silkolene oil (if you like your bike that is lol), chances are they wouldn't have turnt up your oil pump or anything so I wouldn't fiddle with that, could be a crap spark plug so its not burning properly, that's worth a change anyway if its been running a bit rich aswell!

decent oil £10-£15 (drain the old first if its not a good quality oil)

battery £15

spark plug £4-£10 (personally I like to use irridium plugs and always carry a spare but again each to their own)

I don't know how much your service centre charges you to check it over and repair/service it but for the sake of £29-£40 Id really say give it a go yourself, scooters are fairly simple and are a good place to build your bike knowledge (its where I started, and iv never looked back since)