Over charged for xj6 diversion

matthew.latham
This post is 2912 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well it looks like I was charged well over the odds for my bike! I came to try and sell it and I was expecting to take a bit of a loss maybe £1000 after having owned the bike for about 9 months but no! In fact the value of it is less than half of what I paid for it, £2200 so I would be losing £2600 in 9 months for a bike that was second hand when I bought it! Looks like I will just have to keep it now.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry to hear that, but did you buy it from a dealer? they always make a profit on the bikes they sell and it's usually well over the odds from a private sale. I would suggest that you try to trade the bike in as that way you will get the best price. I always compare the price of a bike when I'm going to buy, the difference between a trade deal and a private deal can be enormous, if your bike goes wrong then a trade deal is best as you have a guarantee but the money you save on a private deal usually outweighs the cost of fixing a rough bike. Still when you think about it your XJ6 is still a nice bike it's not like you have been left with a rubbish machine is it!

• Like 1

Oh no its a great bike don't get me wrong I love it well the little riding I have been able to do! Yes I got it from a dealer and I did expect to loose money on it it was just the amount of money it has dropped in such a short period of time.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Whilst it is a pain, there are a few factors in the mix:

(1) There are many, many used XJ6s for sale, lots low mileage and in good condition.

(2) The dealer will have added a margin when you bought it (to make a profit), when you want to trade back in they pretty much subtract the same margin (to ensure they once more make a decent profit).

The XJ6 is a brilliant bike, but like many midsize bikes (ER6, GSX650F, SV650 etc) the fact that they are often cheap to buy, only kept for a short time can make depreciation much greater than most other bikes (lots of bikes are assets and lose no value or tend to gain it after a few years).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online