Eldest is catching the bug.

Cynic
This post is 2903 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Did 50 odd miles today with the eldest daughter on the back and she is really starting to get it. Only got headbutted once today, she uses the rack rather than me to hold on. Can really get a move on with her on the back now I can rely on her not moving at the wrong time. Actually enjoying the bike rather than worrying if she will stay on for the next overtake/bend etc.

Only real pain is she rests on me under braking but that's improving with her upper body strength (hockey training) and the TDR front brake really struggles pulling up when the bike has a pillion. I may fit a blue spot for peace of mind.

She is hinting after some leathers and boots now though, gulp. She has been using her mums till now ( said quietly but she (the wife) wont fit em now and their older than my kids). But now K wants some of her own.

• Like 6

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's awesome! :) I loved riding with my dad... any chance I could get. :thumb: 

My daughter was the opposite. She loved on the bike until last year when she decided it didn't fit her version of cool....ah well her loss

That brings back memories Cynic. How old is your daughter?

I remember when mine wanted to come on the bike when she was about 15-17ish and she kept wanting me to take her to Cribbs Causeway shopping centre in Brizzle. I found out later that it wasn't just the shops she wanted to go to but the ride on the M4/M5. But, alas she has now fled the nest now so I'm on my own now, btw the wifey won't come on the bike.

She is 14, we scored a real good stretch on the A50 between Spratton and Chapel Brampton, clear road.

I just had to, wound on,  great bends only a couple of miles of silly but when we hit the brakes to slow for Chapel Brampton I heard "oh wow that was fkin awesome", over my shoulder. I can fully accept that f word as appropriate I think.. B)

• Like 2

When she is that age, believe me she knows more swearwords than you think.

• Like 2

On one of my daughters visits to me last year she digs out her mums lid and jacket and says come on dad lets go, it was her first time as a pillion so I took it easy at first but when I got to a clear straight bit of road I just had to go for it, as I slowed down for a roundabout I heard her say fuck that was awesome. She went back to Brum and I did'nt think any more of it until a couple of months later she tells me that she had passed her CBT and got herself a little 125.  She has definitely got the bug, my youngest has been riding for about 10 years that only leaves my eldest who will probably never ride but hey " two out of three aint bad"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mike1949 said:

When she is that age, believe me she knows more swearwords than you think.

Oh I know she knows em, ever watched a ladies grass hockey game? I had little respect for footballers anyway (don't mind rugby tbh) but after following hockey for a while because of my daughter I now hold those supposed sportsmen in utter contempt.

Rant aside,:blush: I just felt that that f bomb was probably the best way of explaining the feeling when you, the bike and the road hit the sweet spot.:headbang:

Thanks for the story Cynic, made me smile. My wife and sons think I'm insane at 63 to be riding a bike, their loss!

Her indoors has been a radiographer all her professional life and unfortunately has been witness to the bad bits of biking more than a few times in that a set of leathers is the only thing keeping the bones together..... worse if they didn't wear any.

Hence she's always passionately been against any of our two muppets  taking up the 'sport' or even riding pillion with me.

45 minutes ago, DutchFJ1200 said:

Her indoors has been a radiographer all her professional life and unfortunately has been witness to the bad bits of biking more than a few times in that a set of leathers is the only thing keeping the bones together..... worse if they didn't wear any.

Hence she's always passionately been against any of our two muppets  taking up the 'sport' or even riding pillion with me.

Sorry Dutch, I have lost people to cancer  (3 of), MRSA, stabbed, car accidents, stroke (2 of) and a couple of heart attacks. The odds of hurting yourself on a bike are there, same as any other risk. Some may say its why we do it.

My best friend died new year morning 2015, 54 "never get me on a bike too bloody dangerous". Massive aneurism, like someone turned him off  mid conversation.

Runner, ultra marathon nut in my village dropped head with a burst heart, dead before he hit the floor, at 26. Friend who died 2 weeks into retirement, he was a walker ready to do a string of hills in the peak district. Planned it for years was going to take a couple of months. Went to bed in the first hotel and never woke up!

By the numbers I'm more likely to be killed in/by the trucks I drive due to diet stress etc. She is far more likely to suffer permanent life affecting injuries on the hockey pitch.

So I'm riding my bike,  stark bollock naked if I choose(give the neighbours a laugh), my daughter too if she feels like it .......and how with a clear conscience can I say no to my daughter, I'm a lot of things but no hypocrite.

Life is too short. Pah to the naysayers. Worry, or maybe paranoia? destroys the lives of more people than injuries. I'm going through the pearly gates on the back wheel .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cynic said:

I'm riding my bike, stark bollock naked if I choose(give the neighbours a laugh), my daughter too if she feels like it .......

:lol:   pics or it didn't happen !!!!

Hey, I'm with you 100% on what you say.  I just meant to say that unfortunately I did not get the chance to share my passion with the muppets.  What SWMBO says goes in my case. 

You missed out, we go out with her camera and travel down some really out of the way tiny roads. We have found some amazing places at 10mph a lot of the time. Little bridges, hidden buildings and some spectacular views around the Cotswolds.

Nothing better on a summers day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The picture in my sig has our two boys in it when they were 9 and 14, from a 2 week European tour with Liz and I, on my FJ1200 and her Fazer 1000 (the pic was taken in the Black Forest, Hotel Hirsch, lovely place).

Having their own, correctly fitting kit was always an essential for us. No amount of saving on cost would be allowed by Liz when it came to the kids  hence the youngest ending up with set of Arlen Ness one-piece leathers for riding his moped). Mind you, when he fell off his Fazer 600, albeit at slow speed, we were all happy he was wearing his leathers (slight scuffs but no personal damage/injury), boots, gloves etc.

sg0qw7.jpg

• Like 5

Brilliant pic, and story matey

Incredibly lucky kids, oldfjman!

• Like 1

On 24 April 2016 at 5:04 PM, Cynic said:

Did 50 odd miles today with the eldest daughter on the back and she is really starting to get it. Only got headbutted once today, she uses the rack rather than me to hold on. Can really get a move on with her on the back now I can rely on her not moving at the wrong time. Actually enjoying the bike rather than worrying if she will stay on for the next overtake/bend etc.

Only real pain is she rests on me under braking but that's improving with her upper body strength (hockey training) and the TDR front brake really struggles pulling up when the bike has a pillion. I may fit a blue spot for peace of mind.

She is hinting after some leathers and boots now though, gulp. She has been using her mums till now ( said quietly but she (the wife) wont fit em now and their older than my kids). But now K wants some of her own.

Hey Cynic, what size is your daughter ? We might have some kit that would fit her - we have used to have some kit that my 14yr old niece wore when she came riding with us as well

regarding her resting on you when you're braking, have you tried "Pillion Pals" ? - great for kids. They're plastic handles fixed to a belt - Liz is wearing one in this pic - it really helps an inexperienced pillion to get confident on the bike and feel safe. Helps in both braking and acceleration. Even though she wore them, Ryan was so confident that he rarely used them.

2zg4vw9.jpg

• Like 1

To be fair when I say under braking, I do mean BRAKING.

Like I said she is really quite good now on the back and I can just ride and kind of forget she is there, then obviously when I jam em on into a bend she rests on my back.

Size wise, erm? Dunno, slim and 5 10 is about as far as my dad brain can get.

• Like 1

I do understand what you mean by BRAKING - youngest did hundreds of laps of the Nurburgring on the back of my RSV - he did find the straps useful.  :-)

I think our kit will be a bit small though 5 10 is tall for a 14yr old (even for an adult!)

2sab1qh.jpg

Fantastic photos Oldman. I envy you going out as a family together.

As I said previously my kids have fled the nest and my wife wont go on the back. Shame really because we went through Wales today and there were loads of bikers about and I was stuck with driving her Ford fiesta.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online