Route through London?

slice
This post is 2887 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Folks, just asking if any of you drive/ride through London on a regular basis? I have to go to a funeral in South London later in the week and was debating going straight through the centre or would it be best to go around on the M25? I love filtering but not sure if the centre is a wise idea or not, any advice as to the best way would be welcome. Also can I use Bus lanes in London? Make my life a lot easier if I can but don't want to just chance it. Thanks all.

Sorry should have said I'm coming from the M4 Heathrow direction.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Slice, sorry to hear that.

I think it depends how far south, if you are going very south, more 'greater London' probably quicker and easier to go via M25. If it is fairly central South the M4 should go straight into an A road through London. I drive in London everyday and I would say filtering down unfamiliar roads is a bit daunting (for me anyway - obviously less experience behind me!) but routes I know are fine.

The worst things in the very center are one way systems, road works, generally stupid road layouts, huge lorries and HGVs and pretty much driving anywhere during rush hour - but of course on a bike it is not that bad as you are one of the few vehicles moving.

Most bus lanes are useable, but you have to check the sign at the entrance. They are pretty shitty about removing motorcycle access in weird places - where they also happen to have traffic cameras. There is a bus lane which no bikes are allowed in I pass everyday with cameras which is actually shorter than the length of a bus...

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I'm going to Wansted Flats so right the far side of London. Think M25 will be best then, oh well more motorway, joy! Plus I'm probably going to be the only person at the funeral with full bike gear on, way to get noticed!

If it were me by bike id go through the middle. Make it a tour. You could go past St Pauls, fleet street over tower bridge, trafalgar sq, run along the embankment (built to hide sewer pipes) and through the isle of dogs looking at the money in canary warf and the millenium dump... er dome.

At the least on a bike the south circular will be better than slogging round the 25.

Std london rules apply though. Make sure you have your eyes on and watch the busses. They are the deadliest. Then trucks and taxis with fucking cyclists being right up there too.

And not forgetting it will smell of car fumes and rubbish with a top hint of fast food.

Personally. I hate the shithole. But then im a country hick so..?

• Like 1

Thanks Cynic, place IS a shithole and I was born there! Think I will go round tho, I am soooo not wanting to sight see, been there done that, never want to go there again.

Wantsead Flats is in East London (Manor Park E12) Slice. I guess the City of London Cemetery? Down to London then hit the North Circ. Easiest is come off at the Redbridge roundabout, It is only a few minutes from there.

• Like 1

Yeah, I second  DirtyDT, North Circ from M4 to Wanstead, is how I would go.

" Personally. I hate the shithole. But then im a country hick so..? "

Yeah, but we go the best, most sophisticated, most diverse nightlife. So nyah! 

• Like 1

And like any nightlife its only any good when its dark and your 3 parts pissed.

My house is 200yds from open fields and i would only change it to lower the number.

You can keep London and its nightlife all to yourself with my blessings. Its not for me.

• Like 2

Hi lads. Yes it's The City of London Cemetery , so I will look at your route and give that a go instead, M25 is not a place to go if your sane! I was born in Bow believe it or not and lived in East Ham. I'm like Cynic now live in view of the Cotswold hills and at 63 my idea of night life is staying up to watch the new year in then off to bed. lisalaughing.gif

• Like 2

Yes I will do, but first have to get through the funeral.

Sorry Slice, someone impotant? 

Hi Cynic, My favourite uncle, he and his family run a brush company in Green Street right opposite West Ham Football ground. Started by my Great grandfather and grandfather back in the early 1800's. My Mum and Dad are to frail to go so I am nominated. Thanks for asking mate. :thumb:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was an unmitigated disaster ! Took off from home at 10-30 and found my way to the M4 after about 20 miles it's stopped WTF? filtered to the front like you do and some lorry had shredded his tyres all over the road, so I'm stuck for half an hour while they clear the debris, down to the M25 hang a left and guess what, stuck again, I have no idea why just stopped traffic as far as the eye can see, I do mean as far as you can see, filtered again but only doing about 10MPH for the next 20 odd miles, these people are crazy! how the hell can people sit in this shit all day every day? Eventually reach my turn onto the M11 great almost there, another 40 minutes to the turn off but no missed it f**k !!! Go on to the next turn off and find my way back onto the M 11 and try again, turn off and what's at the bottom of the bloody hill? Police ambulance fire and about 2 million gawkers, bollocks!! now it's 2-15 and the funeral is at 2O/C so not going to make it am I, eventually get through the traffic that's found how to park upside down and spread countless gallons of diesel on the road and then "sorry sir, you can't turn off here till trumpton have washed the road off" ARRGGH ! By now I have been on the bike for nearly 4 hours and I am DYING for a piss I mean hopping from one side of the seat to the other type piss, I am consumed with the need to find a bog, do you know how many service stations are on the M11? 1 frigging station which is half way back the way I came, so I'm now in a dilemma do I take the next turn off and try to just arrive so I can wave the flag at the funeral or do I head for the services at a considerable rate of speed, right services it is then, eventually reach them and find the place is packed with day trippers or some such, probably refugees from the M25 camp site/car park, do the business and I can tell you that was the only moment of ecstasy in the whole trip so far. Decide to run for home now as it's well past any hope of meeting anyone at the cemetery,  back up the M25 which is moving freely, I'm doing 80+ and so is EVERYONE ELSE! This is insane, I kid you not there are lorries and vans and all sorts of vehicles nose to tail and they are all determined to be in this mad dash for the horizon, I'm almost wiped out by a white van man from my left as he changes lanes as I pull alongside him, didn't need a shit but do now! I'm so mad I pull up to his door and give him the finger and he waves and SMILES and shouts SORRY MATE out the window and gives me a wave FFS!!! So down the M25 to the M4 and eventually make it to the turn for Swindon whereupon it decides to rain, not your ordinary rain but big fat lumps of rain and sleet mixed together, I am not a happy bunny at this time. Eventually made it home at 6-30, I'm cold wet and the bike looks like it's been through the last stage of the Dakar rally. So not my best day on the bike but 400+ miles on the clock and to be honest other than missing the funeral and the strange way I walked to the toilets looking back on it I had a great ride out.

• Like 5

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:37 PM, Cynic said:

At the least on a bike the south circular will be better than slogging round the 25.

I was trying to resist, I really was but!

Told you :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slice said:

I can tell you that was the only moment of ecstasy in the whole trip so far

Well you know what they say abt men your age ..... lol :lol:

• Like 1

Cynic Thank you mate, I should of bloody listened, Dutch I really have nothing to say to that other than I must have passed a gallon !!! Just cleaned the bike this morning, oh well it needed a polish anyway. I did meet some really nice people on the road, 2 guys at the first stop who both filtered with me and a guy at the services who had just rode up from Southampton, bikers are a friendly bunch aren't they.

TBH slice I avoid motorways and big cities like the fucking plauge especially that car park called the M25 and the big smoke, in both cases the cars,vans and trucks are either standing still for what seems like hours or they are trying to fucking kill you.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online