Yamaha mt125a engine rattle help

Grimmreaper09
This post is 2922 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi im seeking advice on my 2015 yamaha mt125 its got just over 4k miles in 8 months,  now im looking to see if any1 that owns one themselves has had any engine rattles between 4k-6k revs   . Has been getting louder n louder ( yamaha sayed there is nothing wrong a few times ive had it dwn)    plus it also needs to be topd up with oil every few weeks or so.  No leaks round it wat so ever  ( sound like tapids or vavles)  im not a mec lol 

Mods ive only done is a gp mivv exchust and racing chain and sprocket plus tail tidy nothing major 

Every time i bring it to yamaha i pay for them to look at it and they say theres no probs.  This is the prob i had with my last yamaha dt 125 i bought 2nd hand and engine blew so if any one out there can advise me thx 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,
Welcome to the YoC. Before asking for advice it is good to head over the 'new members section' and just say hi and introduce yourself a little.

Members have given some sound advice on general diagnoses of this type of problem here - https://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/43598-sr125-engine-rattle/#comment-277196) so probably best to read through.

My rattle was from the cam chain - it was around 3-4k revs and noticeable at idle.

Also not a mechanic, but if it is loosing oil - every few weeks - it has to be going somewhere and that can't be a good thing. It must still be under warranty - if there is a problem - make them fix it!

Welcome to the YOC, do you live in Yeovil by any chance as there is a chap behind me with a MT125 with the same exhaust mod?

This could possibly be (as malleus said) the cam chain but after only 4k i doubt it would have slackened that much in such a short time unless you have played with it. you might be burning more oil due to the new exhaust and getting "throttle happy" and possibly pushing her too much?? (i don't know how you ride so trying to whittle down the courses)

tappets could need adjusting but if Yam dealer says there is nothing wrong then i guess they checked that.

When did you last have her serviced? and when is the next major one?

Also i wouldn't be supprised if they say the warrenty is void due to the new exhaust, i might be wrong as i have never owned a brand new bike so not too sure on the rules with them.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online