Customising my XVS1100

ElectroDan
This post is 2927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having owned my XVS for just over a month now, it's time to start making some changes as I'm not a fan of all the chrome, so am after some guidance really as to how best achieve this without breaking the bank...if that's possible!

I'm unsure about how to modify the rear. I'd like to get rid of that horrible huge back mudguard (or fender as some prefer), and replace it with something smaller and lower in gloss black. My girlfriend sometimes goes on the back, so I'd like to retain a neat pillion seat of sorts, just not the studded YMCA cushion and sissy bar it has fitted at present! If I can find something that's easy to swap so provides a seat for her on the odd occasion, but then comes off and has no pillion seat to give a bobber look, then even better. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking I'd also like to go with a side-mounted licence plate, small black indicators, black mirrors and different handlebars (although I've no experience of dragbars or ape hangers). I might also move the foot controls forward a few inches.

This is how she currently looks:

01.jpg.6f3d5b0244419756fb0b89ee7d469de6.

This was the bike that steered me towards the XVS, although I won't be going this extreme with mine! 

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm looking at getting a set of these which move the pegs/controls 6" forward (they also do a 4" version):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171717421186?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Has anyone got these fitted? Or, is anyone interested in them too? Perhaps I can ask the seller for a bulk discount if we get enough people interested, plus we'll be able to save on postage fees as they are coming from the US.

Im not too sure on how the rear mudgaurd is mounted to the 1100, "i think" is a metal cage similar to the set up on the XVS125. If this is the case to do the swop as you want then this cage will need to be chopped off, a new mounting braket fabricated and welded on or as per the video just weld the mudgaurd direct to the swing arm. If you want the girlfriend to ride then you will need to create a fanny pad thats not fixed to the mudgaurd unless she has a steel spine.

I had Z bars on my chop but that was the baby 650 so suited it, these 1100s either suit beach bars (old school bobber style) or the arm pit dryers

You can cut costs by making stuff yourself but if this is not possible then count the pennies and keep a tight budget.

Looking forward to looking at the build ;)

No "easy" swap. The easy solution is ditch the sissy bar (4 bolts), see if you can find a replacement pillion pad on ebay that doesn't have studs on it, and possibly respray the rear fender gloss black. You might also want to respray the tank and front fender the same colour as well. Alternatively, instead of painting the rear fender, get some saddlebags to partially cover it up. They'll look cool (remember, no studs, or conchos!), and they'll be practical as well.

Funnily enough the bike came with saddlebags, but they have tassles! I guess I could give them a trim :)

Are the Classic and Custom pillion seats different? There are a couple on ebay at the moment but they don't look quite the same.

I don't really have the means to fabricate things myself, nor do any welding, which I guess limits how much I can do! I'll post some pics up later of bikes I want to pinch ideas from.

Yours is the custom, so I'd go with that. The one you have on now looks more like the classic, being  a bit more plush. Your main seat is also off of a classic, the custom is a bit narrower and less padded. Not as comfy but looks nicer.

Just start with removing the sissy bar. That should provide an immediate improvement in looks.  I don't actually have anything against sissy bars as such, but yours is just a bit too tall and gothicky! You could also remove the pad for now, and see how that looks.  

Well I've bought a Custom pillion pad off of ebay so that should be here soon.

Regarding what you said about my main seat looking like it's from a Classic...I thought you might be onto something so I spent a while on Google images trying to compare the differences. I 'think' my main seat is standard though as I eventually found the photo below (but I could be wrong):

By luck a guy a work who has a Classic brought it in today so I took a photo of his seat. It looks different to mine, so does this confirm mine is a standard Custom seat?

20160408_102131.jpg

xvs1100.jpg

No problem, it helped me learn a little more about the bike :)

Now, is it true some owners twist the standard handlebars upwards rather than fit aftermarket bars? I can't picture if this would look better, or even be more comfortable.

It doesn't and it isn't. It makes the grips look at a weird angle. On the other hand, the biggest (and usually most expensive) hassle in fitting apes is getting longer cables for everything: throttle (x2), clutch, electrics.

Yeah the only thing that puts me off trying apes is the working involved to fit longer cables. After watching a YouTube tutorial I reckon I'd need to set aside half a day at least.

My original seat arrived Monday, so yesterday I removed the sissy bar and studded seat. I was shocked at how heavy the sissy bar was! It's a sturdy piece of kit.

I also removed those chrome side arches at the same time. The bolts now stick out though so I'll be on the lookout for shorter bolts in go in their place, ideally in black.

y3mVaK4voH7IQbFgWEm0cqa16d4M_hUBPJyq5Pxc

y3mpj5_pnMEf-54R2ytSygeSUL3MaO17FpUIXhKt

Huge improvement already! I didn't think those chrome arches looked too bad actually... 

Make sure they're not structurally necessary though. Were they thin and flimsy, or thick and sturdy? If the latter they might be meant to support the weight of a pair of saddlebags.  Meanwhile have a play with adjusting the handlebars to where they feel most comfortable.