Now ive lost power

Spike101uk
This post is 2902 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So exhaust is all done , took it for a spin and worked fine, pulled up for an hour, then pulled away again, and 500 yards seem to start losing lower then just died, started again a few times but as I pull throttle it has no power and eventually refused to even start, any ideas, cos I'm getting inpatient and losing interest in biking due to many issues with this, seems I fix one and another 2 happen 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Spike, bad luck mate, ok go back to first principles then, fuel and ignition, now you know it started and slowly died right? So my first port of call would be take the fuel line off and see if it's blocked anywhere, then check your spark. Try taking the tank cap off and see if will run with that off might just be a blocked breather in the cap. If none of those work come back and see If anyone else has come up with any more easy fixes, it's usually something small that f**ks you over.

Acommon problem with these is the Y shaped rubber connector on the carb, these go brittle with age and crack, causing incorrect mixture. Have a good look at it for cracks/splits etc. and make sure it is fitting correctly onto its spigots

48 minutes ago, neversaydie said:

Acommon problem with these is the Y shaped rubber connector on the carb, these go brittle with age and crack, causing incorrect mixture. Have a good look at it for cracks/splits etc. and make sure it is fitting correctly onto its spigots

Ok had a quick butchers and yea I can see a few cracks in mine, so next question is, how to i replace myself, is it just a case of undoing and slipping a new one on 

22 hours ago, Spike101uk said:

Ok had a quick butchers and yea I can see a few cracks in mine, so next question is, how to i replace myself, is it just a case of undoing and slipping a new one on 

Never changed one on an XV125, but yes, it looks pretty straightforard. Looks like you may have to lift the tank to give yourself some headroom, after undoing the jubilee clip. Chock it up with some wood. Then remove the fasteners on the Y spigots. Be careful, dont strip them, be patient. Make sure to fit the new one right way around so the small brass spigot is in the right place (take photos before removing the old rubber), clean the mating faces up, fit the new one. Cant find the torque figure for the bolts, so use your noodle on that one, but dont overtighten

£47.96 from Wemoto, shop around you may find one cheaper, but not from China, someone on here replaced theirs some years ago with a Chinese one and it didnt fit

• Like 1

I've had a thought, whilst I was replacing the exhaust the gasket slipped a bit but still seemed to make a seal, of for any reason it didn't make a seal from front or rear cylinder to exhaust manifold would this cause the same issue running lean and cause vacuum leaks and lack of throttle response?

Cough!! on some kev.

15 quid a pair for the TDR if you get the ones that work.

That i wish mine were that price and sweeping statements can give bad infomation.

Ok do oops doesn't come close, and I kinda want someone to tell me I have something wrong with the bike, so I checked tank and was pretty empty so chucked 5 litres in and eventually started revving on the on fuel pump position ( as it didn't before) however when revving high it occasionally sounds like it misfires or loses power momentarily and it even stalled, have I just not had enough petrol in when I lost power or is it the coil or plugs possibly causing the occasional misfire 

When your that low the fuel will slosh about giving the tank outlet nothing but air, your lucky it ran. Take it to a garage and fill it up properly then see how it runs. If it was on fumes you may still not have a lot in there depending on the fuel storage on the bike.

Also, drain a bit of fuel and check if there's any water droplets in in. Happened twice on mine, always the wet seasons fuck it up.. 
Summer and winter, no problems.

Anyone know what would cause quite a strong smell of petrol coming from engine, no obvious leaks anywhere but when it's idling and revving it is what I would class as too strong, and would like it sorted before I'm riding down the road like ghost rider

Running it too long on choke, idle and not going anywhere.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online