I've just joined!

This post is 2941 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a quick note to say hi and introduce myself - I'm Gabriel and I've just joined. 

I've wanted to get a bike for many years but only now am I in a financial position to get on two wheels.

I've only been riding for a couple of months now and have yet to take my full bike licence here in the UK (I just hold my CBT) If anyone has tips on improving my riding skills and getting the most out of life in the saddle whist staying safe I'd really appreciate hearing them. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:wavey: welcome aboard!

14 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Hi  gabe "  what 125 are you thinkin about ,?  :welcome:

Hi Blackhat, I picked up a Dragstar 125 a few months ago - I haven't got the longest legs and as it's sits pretty low so it's great for me.

I'm enjoying being on two wheels and just trying to build my confidence and skill levels.

I really like bobbers and the dragstar is pretty easy to 'bob up' should I want to go that way.

I'd like to get some more road experience before I start to take bits off my bike though.

Gabe

14 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Greetings

7 hours ago, Sacha said:

:wavey: welcome aboard!

Hi guys!

• Like 2

Hi Gabe, welcome to the YOC. :D

Hi Gabe, welcome. I would say time and experience are all you need. I have not been riding long and still very much consider myself a novice. I don't think there are any shortcuts to becoming a better rider, just take it easy, be safe, be confident (not over confident though!) and practice. Maybe try and get started with training for full license as soon as you have a chance. I know I picked up a few of bad habits on L's which I had to unlearn before passing full.

On 30 March 2016 at 10:08 AM, slice said:

Hi Gabe, welcome to the YOC. :D

Cheers for that Slice! 

On 30 March 2016 at 10:21 AM, Malleus said:

Hi Gabe, welcome. I would say time and experience are all you need. I have not been riding long and still very much consider myself a novice. I don't think there are any shortcuts to becoming a better rider, just take it easy, be safe, be confident (not over confident though!) and practice. Maybe try and get started with training for full license as soon as you have a chance. I know I picked up a few of bad habits on L's which I had to unlearn before passing full.

Many thanks for that Malleus, sounds like perfect advice. 

I was thinking of getting a couple more months road experience then going for my full licence - not sure how confident I would feel at the moment on a more powerful bike? 

But as you say, it's worth being mindful of not picking up those bad habits. I'm still working on smoothing out my riding and my positioning at/turning into junctions (remembering my lifesaver looks too) 

I'm hoping that  my L plates will keep me a little safer if drivers see them. 

Gabe