New To Yamaha Owners Club

This post is 2921 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Wanted to say hello as i just joined.

I am looking at purchasing a 2013 Yamaha Raider S soon and wanted to ask a couple of questions to the Yamaha Community. My post can be seen here:

My introduction to motorbikes was Yama Zuma - > Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 --> Now to Yamaha Raider.

Great to join the Yamaha community again

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:wavey: welcome aboard!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2016 at 0:23 PM, KevtheRev said:

Did you buy her in the end mate ? Nice one !  What was the pulley for ?

KevtheRev, i am still in the process. Finally got my loan properly approved. But I am now in a dilemma. 3 Raiders are for sale, and like all good things, there are pros and cons to each. But i have the money now and i would like to buy. 

Any advice from yourself or anyone else on these forums much appreciated. The 3 options are below. I might post this in a new thread also to get input from others.

(1) The 2013 Raider: $6600 - Color of bike is Candy Red.

Pros:

Only 600 Miles on odometer

Is a 2013 model

15 minutes from where i live.

Has the cobra black pipes (even though they are scratched a little), can i clean these up? Paint over them and make look like new again?

Can buy today for only $6600 (Seller has come down from the original agreed $7000 as he moves out of state in 4 weeks time).

Cons:

It has a few scratches and marks on the pipes from when it was dropped (At standstill, hit by a truck apparently).

The right brake lever is also heavily bent as shown in the photos.  I still haven't taken it to shop.

I am still not 100% sure what the exposed cables near the back right passenger foot peg. The seller wrote today and said,

"The cables controlled a butterfly valve that prevented backfiriing on the stock pipes that had an opening for the valve, I havent found an aftermarket pipes that have a place for the valve"

As i am not mechanically minded, and as i have never owned a raider, I am unsure if this is plausible answer. Seems a bit off. Thoughts?

I feel weird buying a bike with a few scratches on it. Maybe just my OCD. But it is a 2013 with only 600 miles...

(2) The 2009 Raider: $6000 Color of bike is Black.

Pros: 

Bike is black, i think i like black over red?

Seller will sell for only $6000. The cheapest of the 3 i am looking at.

Modifications complete are side mount license plate and turn signals integrated into rear tail light. Looks nice.

Owner said "Hes been turning wrenches for 25 years", hes a mechanic so i thought this may mean bike has been well looked after

New Rear tire last year 240 Size, good tread on front tire.

Comes with quick detach saddle bags that can be removed in seconds and leave no trace on bike

Cons:

Bike is located 300 Miles away, So i havent actually had a chance to see it in person. I would fly to look at it and (hopefully), ride it back. Assuming it checked out OK.

No After market pipes, other 2 bikes do have the Cobras. I am not a fan how the factory stock pipes look.

5800 Miles on Clock? (Is this a lot for a bike?), compared to the 600 miles of the 2013 raider, i placed the 5800 miles on this bike as a con.

Flights to destination is $400 this weekend, or  $150 if i went in a couple of weeks times.

(2) The 2008 Raider: $7000 - Color of bike is Red with the Factory Flames on tank

Pros: 

Bike is in immaculate condition

Has Cobra sweep exhaust, chrome version and and they look really nice.

Cruise control,

Lean &Mean chin fairing,

Curb dragger front fender

Side bag hardware and bags

Custom grips. "Show room condition".

Cons:

4860 Miles on Odometer (Not really a Con as i believe this number is pretty low for a 2008 Bike), but its more than the 600 miles on the 2013 raider above.

2 Hour Drive away.

Rear tire is 260 which is nice. But i am not sure about tread. I believe the tire has done about 4000 miles. Would the bigger tire effect the actual odometer reading?

the old adage is, buy the best you can and I think that the £7k bike could be knocked down to a more palitable level. You won't know till you ask.

that may sway you

1 hour ago, drewpy said:

the old adage is, buy the best you can and I think that the £7k bike could be knocked down to a more palitable level. You won't know till you ask.

that may sway you

Hi Drewpy,

Thanks for the reply.Much appreciated.

I guess, i wasn't sure which of the 3 bikes was the best. I am leaning towards the 7K Bike. And to confirm that is $7K USD, so that would be around £4,923.98. 

Hmm , tough choice Kiwi .   Those are all low mileage bikes . Mileage in itself isn't a problem if the bike's been looked after properly . My old CB500 courier hack had over 500k on 'er and never gave any trouble (until I hit a rock on the road and cracked the frame ) .  I'd be wary of buying a bike unseen and planning a long ride home , could go ok or it could turn into a nightmare .  I did guess that the exposed pulley was for an exhaust valve . I'd be checking on how these bikes run without the exhaust valve .  All things being equal , it boils down to personal choice .  I think , if it were me ,  I'd've gotten the wheel alignment checked  on the first bike , ( easily done with a straight edge or piece of string ) , and if it was okay I'd've taken the guy's hand off for that kind of money .   And yes , those scratches on the pipes are easily covered with stove paint which can be brushed on and is very cheap .  Best o' luck whichever you choose , and let us know how you get on , Kev .

• Like 1