Anyone own a a5 2.0tfsi?

Harrywr65
This post is 2899 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello guys,

ive got a 2010 Audi A5 2.0tfsi,

does anybody own one? If they do, how much oil is yours going through? I know they suffer from sipping the oil slowly but mine seems to be chugging it down and is costing me a fortune topping it up every week! Considering going back to a golf 1.9tdi!! 

ive checked for leaks ect and it does have a slight misting from the timing chain cover but I've re sealed with some rtv! 

Any help is much appreciated! Cheers guys! 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The 2.0TFSI engines built about 2008 to 2011 suffer from premature wear leading to increased oil consumption (there is a lot of information on Audi forums about it). Audi in the US have been taken to court over it but no such luck in the UK yet. If you have full service history you may have some entitlement to a repair by Audi, the first thing whey will insist on is an oil consumption test, the exact figures are out there on the net but I think if you use about a litre of oil in about 600 miles you have the fault. I work for a dealer, we had this problem with a trade in, the final repair bill was about £2500 (new pistons, rings and top end rebuild). We don't touch these with a bargepole now.

Best of luck with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peterxj600 said:

The 2.0TFSI engines built about 2008 to 2011 suffer from premature wear leading to increased oil consumption (there is a lot of information on Audi forums about it). Audi in the US have been taken to court over it but no such luck in the UK yet. If you have full service history you may have some entitlement to a repair by Audi, the first thing whey will insist on is an oil consumption test, the exact figures are out there on the net but I think if you use about a litre of oil in about 600 miles you have the fault. I work for a dealer, we had this problem with a trade in, the final repair bill was about £2500 (new pistons, rings and top end rebuild). We don't touch these with a bargepole now.

Best of luck with it. 

Hello, I done fairly long drive last weekend, 320ish miles, then the past 2 weeks of work and back and I've done roughly a litre and a half of oil? So 400 miles in total roughly? I think il give the local Audi a call and see what they say, my last car, a 2004 golf 1.9tdi with well over 180k on the clock didn't do a drop of oil the whole time I owned It where as Ive properly given the car an oil service the last few weeks I've owned it!! 

Thanks for the help!

Harry, just curious as I don't own one of these but does it burn the oil or does it chuck it down the road? If it burns then your CAT will be fried with all the crap going through it won't it? As Peter says if it's a known fault then your first port of call should be Audi UK and see if they can offer a solution. Best of luck mate.

VW and Audi, seriously?

Its the same firm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cynic said:

VW and Audi, seriously?

Its the same firm.

My point exactly Cynic . It also pisses me off that drivers of older cars are hammered on tax due to their supposedly greater emissions while VW conned everybody with new cars which had the fuelling tweaked to fool the emissions tests . We've a 20yr old Corrola 1.3 here and pay more road tax than people driving new supposedly cleaner vehicles . The Corolla doesn't burn any oil . Have you heard how many new Golfs have been throwing rods because the fuelling is leaned out for testing , which measures emissions at engine speeds pretty close to those at normal urban cycle driving ?   Also if you check it out you'll find that most of the car manufacturers are tied in with each other in various ways .   

Phew! Thanks . Rant over .

• Like 1

Long time ago I worked with an eco nut, drove the same vw polo he had owned since college. 1980 something it was registered. We all asked why he kept it on the road with its dirty engine etc.

He said that 90% of a cars emissions come from building the damn thing, so he kept the old girl on the road not causing a new car to be built, to my knowledge he still has it now.

• Like 1

It's neither burning it or leaving it down the road, which makes me very curious as to where the bloody hell its going!

The only thing I can think of is it has one of these stupid electric oil level sensors, i chucked it on the computer and it came up with no fault codes! Very weird, going into Audi next week for a check over, I would bring it in to the workshop, but feck me I'm at a dead end already with doing the timing chain cover, front wheel bearings, 4 new tyres, gearbox oil and a new drive shaft... My old seat, I drove that car for a year with blown headgasket and it never missed a beat, never spent a penny on it. 

Bet that's a tin can now! New cars are ridiculously expensive to maintain/repair... Had a vw phaeton in a week ago, had to remove and send the gearbox off for recon, his bill was well over 1k... Stupid! 

I'm still sick that I wrote off my '86 toyota  Starlet DX ,  Great little car ,and the only car I ever owned . I got it in '08 with only 36k on the clock .:( Thought maybe me and cars don't mix after that . If I still had it the road tax would be only 26 euros per year .

12 hours ago, Harrywr65 said:

It's neither burning it or leaving it down the road, which makes me very curious as to where the bloody hell its going!

The only thing I can think of is it has one of these stupid electric oil level sensors, i chucked it on the computer and it came up with no fault codes! Very weird, going into Audi next week for a check over, I would bring it in to the workshop, but feck me I'm at a dead end already with doing the timing chain cover, front wheel bearings, 4 new tyres, gearbox oil and a new drive shaft... My old seat, I drove that car for a year with blown headgasket and it never missed a beat, never spent a penny on it. 

Bet that's a tin can now! New cars are ridiculously expensive to maintain/repair... Had a vw phaeton in a week ago, had to remove and send the gearbox off for recon, his bill was well over 1k... Stupid! 

Believe me its going, our Nissan lil old 1500 engine now approaching 150000 miles with little love from the wife's driving and 'approximate' servicing from me is now burning/losing oil.

That doesn't have a big black patch on the drive under the engine (like the old range rover that REALLY knew how to leak oil), doesn't smoke except when its first started. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not burning oil, said oil fumes wont do your cat any favours though. Audi cat, ker fucking ching.........

I'm not worried, my mot man works his magic and when the time comes that he says its just too far gone for him to sort, its scrap. Kind of liberating.

• Like 1

Sorry Kev, but cant fault it. Apart from the timing chain its been tyres and service items for the entire time we have had it. That's all of the 150000 miles, she is showing her age but from a 'designed to do a job without the bullshit' it ticks all the boxes.

When it goes I may even shed a tear.

• Like 1

That's it man ! Who wants a car that switches itself off when a fault code lights up 'cos the fag lighter is broken . Way too much tech in the new cars . And I wouldn't want a car that reports me to the cops via google every time I touch 56mph ! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, little update. After a lot of phone calls to the previous owner to get the old invoices for services done to back up the full Audi service history, I've managed to get a full engine rebuild and service for free!

hopefully they don't try and tell me it needs a new turbo or some other bullshite like that! 

Well let you guys know what happens !

• Like 3

That's a result Harry, nice one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online