XVS125 - Oil leak this time...

Dom1878
This post is 2926 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So to add to the ongoing niggles over the past year, I now have an oil leak but not sure where from?

When she's been sitting for a few hours there is no sign of a drip anywhere, it is only when she's been running that it comes out and there is a lot splattered on the underside toward the rear of the engine. Losing what looks like about a tablespoon when it's parked, not sure how much when on the move (keeping the level topped up obviously).

It tends to drip from the frame on the left hand side just behind the sidestand, may be running from the seam in the centre (hope not).
Not missing a beat and no tapping or mechanical noises of concern but obviously don't want to push it. Have no money till payday though and need the bike for the week.
Any simple diagnosis I can do other than the visual after wiping the underside down?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Like has been said, likely a gear shift or sprocket shaft seal, I had one leak on the CBR125 on the gear change, it was surprisingly easy to fix. Since you said it only happens when it's been run it could be that it only wants to leak when the oil is hot and less viscous than in a cool state. 

As above really, a lot of bikes have a seal from the gearbox shift lever, usually a push fit from the outside, take the lever off dig out the old one and replace it, if that's it then should be a half hour job. Bung a piece of kitchen towel round the gear shaft right up tight to the engine and see if that "cures" the leak, should be done obviously just after a run out and she's warmed up.

Cheers guys. Just ordered a new seal off ebay, will see if it helps.

Off topic, I saw a video on here the other day about about brake bobbins. Do all bikes have floating discs or are the ones on a dragstar static. Mine is flagged as running out and am wondering if I can do anything before buying a new disc.

Hi Dom, if you bike is not high performance then it's possible it has solid brake discs, mine has floating on the front and solid on the rear, look at the disc on your bike, if it has little round discs then it has bobbins if not then it's a solid one, is it the same as this one ?$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F If so it's a solid mate.

Using dry lube so it's not that.

Didn't think of the breather, I don't think I overfilled it though.

Cheers Slice, it appears its a static disc so looks like its just fucked.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online