MOT and CBT

Morseman
This post is 2955 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I managed to complete my CBT yesterday and the trike passed its MOT today, so it's been a good week even if I did have to drive to Scotland and back for work.

I might think about getting a cheap 125 so that I can practice for the full test on L plates, but not sure what to get.  Any advice on good learners bikes.  Yamaha, of course. ;-)

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

not very cheap (around 1000) but a fun bike, I do my cbt on it, suzuki van van. if you want cheaper, yamaha sr125. you will not believe but this one, for around 450 pounds can do over 80m/h. 

Cheaper might be better, Lallasro, :D

It'll be just for training as I have a trike for longer trips.

Thanks for the advice.

If its just for cbt training surely the cheapest tool you can find, chineese, Korean, hell it can come from Mars for all it matters. Few quid for something legal and then dump it when your done.

Then spend the money you saved on your bike either for goodies or in the tank.

What you doing the full test on?  Most schools use ER5 or equivalent for A2 tests and Bandit6/Divvy6/SV650 etc. for the full A class DAS.  Getting a peaky stroker or laidback cruiser is not going to give you the same handling characteristics as these bikes, so you'd probably be better off on a YBR/CG/EN - basically a simple bread and butter commuter style machine.  No, they're not as much fun as a DT, but you're aiming to get the test out of the way so you can progress onto the fun bikes, so suck it up buttercup and bear your apprenticeship like a man.

Remember, the 500 quid 125 you buy now will get you through your test and will still fetch near enough 500 quid from the next learner who buys it off you.  Best bet would be a multi-owned CG or similar with a chain like a Portsmouth prossie's knicker elastic and oil like pi$$ - good bargaining points to get a fair old amount knocked off the asking price, but simple and cheap to correct yourself, bearing in mind these engines are designed to be abused by spotty 17 year old oiks so are pretty much bombproof.  Get one, spend 50 quid or so servicing it, pass your test and flog it on for probably 100 quid more than it cost you - yes, I speak from experience.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

he don`t need to feel the same as on the bike he will do the test, he need to learn the road on a bike. I do my cbt on van van, I put on my baby cruiser AJS regal raptor 5500 miles, then I do the test on  bandit6. 2 hours was enough for me the conversion from baby cruiser on bandit 6. was easier on the bandit. he is not going to race for the test so, no need to much practice on the bike he will use for test. all 600cc bikes they use for tests are very friendly. 

1 hour ago, Cynic said:

If its just for cbt training surely the cheapest tool you can find, chineese, Korean, hell it can come from Mars for all it matters. Few quid for something legal and then dump it when your done.

Then spend the money you saved on your bike either for goodies or in the tank.

That's a fantastic idea, you can pick up a second hand Chinese pile of shit for £800, it'll be more than good enough to learn on the road. He could try a Sinnis Apache, those are cheap second hand, and I've heard they're fun. 

On 11/03/2016 at 10:02 PM, Variomatic said:

I wanna say stay away from the YBR, but that could be my prejudiced. I'd say try a DT, I've heard they're tonnes of fun, and the YBR really isn't. 

I didn't see this post before I decided on the YBR125.

It really is just a round town bike that I need, that will get me through the MOD 1 and 2 tests.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online