New rider A2.

jimmysheffield
This post is 2961 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm a new rider and currently taking my A2 licence lessons, I'm 57 years old and like cruisers and understand I will be able to ride the dragstar 650 or 400 which I like both.

My worry is if I go for the 400 how will I be fixed for things like spare parts and extras for example a back rest as the rear mudguard is different with indicators on it.

Would I be safer with the 650 as the 400's are all imports from Japan an may be harder to maintain, forgive me if these questions are a little naïve but this will be my first bike for 40 years and I really don't want to get my leg in cash wise on something unsuitable.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome in jim ".B)  I would go for the 650,   it may need restricted tho, . is it 33bhp,  your allowed . ?

• Like 1

Greetings young Jim, personally I'd also go with the 650

• Like 1

Why A2? You're over 24 (just), so why not do the full A Direct Access? The tests are exactly the same, just a slightly bigger bike - we use SV650s compared to ER5s for the A2.

Have a word with your instructor and get on the bigger bike, then the world is your mollusc.

• Like 3

I would also say go for full test. Do you know what bikes they use for each test? Im not sure about parts, but if you search for some online it should be apparent. I'd imagine they won't be hard to get. I buy all mine from the Netherlands. Save a fair bit paying in euros.

Yes as above really, look up the spare parts on ebay and such and see what's available then decide what your best action is. But if it was me I would take the full test and then your choice is unlimited, look here for prices https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical-test/motorcycle-practical-test-fees- then for less than a £100 your off and running. Your choice of course.

• Like 1

Don't bother with A2 - just go straight to that full-A badboy!

The only reason to go for A2 is if the power at 600cc is overwhelming [no shame]. But a few months at A2 you'd have no issues with it, and need to do the tests again to get full.
Get a few more lessons if needed. Then you've got the whole world of bikes opened up to you.

As for maintenance - bikers are often more than willing to help another with servicing when they can. Some even enjoy it! (:
Loads on here are such like that, and assuming the Sheffield is where you live, you're not too far from a bunch of us on many sides of you [Leeds, Manchester, etc].
So, get the bike you like the most.

There was another thread a few years back with the same base question, though: XVS400 vs XVS650

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice I didn't realise the tests were the same apart from the bike sizes.......

Your instructor should've kept you straight on that, I'm surprised he didn't at the least mention it ...... ?

10 hours ago, jimmysheffield said:

Thanks for the advice I didn't realise the tests were the same apart from the bike sizes.......

There should be nothing on the test that hasn't already been covered by CBT - You just have to manage it to a higher standard, is all. Worth getting the Direct Access if you can though, if only so you can try other bikes. One never knows what kind of FJ1200 will turn one's Cruiser-centric mind... ;)

If you're set on a mid-size Cruiser, the 650 will definitely see you happy! I think the 400 would hold you back.

An even larger Cruiser will be defnitely be loads of fun. If I had to choose nowadays, I'd likely go for a newer, larger one like the 950 or the Bolt for a mid-size... Big enough to hoon, small enough to throw around, powerful enough to keep you entertained as your riding develops.

• Like 2

+1

As soon as you get some time on the bike you'll wish you'd gone bigger. LOL

The 950 is plenty for me though... I'm still loving my bolt. :yeah:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online