V Star 1100 Tyre recommendations

Derekm
This post is 2941 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently bought a V Star 1100 Classic with only 5200 miles on it. The rear tyre had already been changed and the front, presumably original Dunlop D404 is down to 2mm already. This doesn't seem very clever at all to me. My last bike, a Hinckley Bonny on Metzelers still had lots of meat left after 6300miles and it seemed to me that it would be good for 10k, maybe more.

What should be a decent mileage for a V Star and what tyres would you guys recommend, for good mileage, handling and grip, please? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I always found Avon tyres best suited my 650 Draggie. Never the slightest slip even on ice and snow, lasted forever and let me throw it around (not on the snow) like a complete hooligan... as much as one can on a Cruiser, anyway!

The Mrs ran Dunlops on her DragQueen and they were quite slippy. Had the back end step out when banked and going over a wet manhole cover on more than one occasion.

I got it with part-worn Avon Venoms already on and they did 19,000 miles before I needed to change them. I put Venoms on again, as they did so well and that was the last time I changed. They're still on (what's left of) the bike and look like they'd do a few thou more, at least.

I have Metzeler Lasertecs on the FJ1200, but that's because they're crossply and so necessary for that bike. Those have only managed about 4,500 and are already due to be changed in a couple of weeks.

I'd say go with Avon - You have the Classic, so the Cobras are what they recommend: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/xvs-1100a-drag-star-classic

Thanks for that TM. You've confirmed my gut feeling, but with a heavy cruiser being so different from a sports bike, I felt it wise to ask.

Before my Bonny I had a 650 Katana. The original Bridgestones lasted 5.2k and the bike dropped into corners badly. Replaced with Pirelli Phantoms (spit!). Dropped in just as bad and worn out in 2.5k!!!! Avon RoadRiders next, just before selling. Seemed to wear really well and handling was perfect & neutral.

Yup, Avons all the way! Mine have done at least 15k miles on the draggie, the front looks like it might need changing in the next 5-7k miles, the back looks barely scrubbed-in! And I've got roadriders on my CB500, fantastic handling in all conditions (except wet manhole covers, those are as bad as black ice!)

Cheers guys. With some tyres lasting 5k or less and others running to 15k, one wonders how the hell they manage to sell the high wear ones, especially for cruisers & tourers. The powers of marketing I guess.

I have 404d on front on mine, I use just dunlop, those was standard.(40k on the bike now) I do something like 10k on the rear (k555) and 12k on front (d404). can`t tell you about the handling because I use just this kind of tyres.I just buy a pair from germany, over 100 pounds cheaper than in UK, free shiping.

How on earth do you guys get these kind of distances from tyres, I thought 4 and 6k (R/F) from my TDR was good.

Must be whatever compound formula they're using at Avon, plus the fact cruisers tend to be ridden in fair weather... 

48 minutes ago, Toutsuite said:

Must be whatever compound formula they're using at Avon, plus the fact cruisers tend to be ridden in fair weather... 

I don`t think is about the weather, I ride it all year... and I have no mercy for my tyres.

On 05/03/2016 at 2:53 PM, lallasro said:

I have 404d on front on mine, I use just dunlop, those was standard.(40k on the bike now) I do something like 10k on the rear (k555) and 12k on front (d404). can`t tell you about the handling because I use just this kind of tyres.I just buy a pair from germany, over 100 pounds cheaper than in UK, free shiping.

Have you got a link or a web address for your German supplier please?

On 05/03/2016 at 3:31 PM, Cynic said:

How on earth do you guys get these kind of distances from tyres, I thought 4 and 6k (R/F) from my TDR was good.

Cruisers don't do 0-60 in 3 seconds, or get ridden at 140mph on a regular basis... which might also have something to do with my FJ tyres only lasting 4,500...! ;)

On 05/03/2016 at 6:12 PM, Toutsuite said:

Nope, all year round. It's purely what they're designed and made for. Even the recommended Dunlop ones last reasonably well.

13 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Cruisers don't do 0-60 in 3 seconds, or get ridden at 140mph on a regular basis... which might also have something to do with my FJ tyres only lasting 4,500...! ;)

So explain how on my 100kg 250  then.

Riding style, the road surface, weather, cornering style can all have an effect on tyre wear.

Quick acceleration, cornering and breaking on new or rough road surfaces in warmer weather will make a tyre wear more than tootling along on old smooth straight roads in the damp.

Each tyre also has a Treadwear Rating with lower numbers 200 or less wearing quicker than higher 300-600 numbers based on the amount of soft and hard rubbers in the compound of the tyre.

Designation of TDR250 "Designed to provide agile handling and quick acceleration" = more road friction = more tyre wear :P

• Like 1

I assume you have knobblies on it?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online