Picked up my New 05 R6 last night.....

JohnR6
This post is 6550 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

All I got to say is that the machine is awesome!! I just love riding it!

At first, I didn't know what to expect and I had to get use to the riding position and the controls, but after about 5 minutes of riding, I started to relax and totoally enjoying my bike. I'm still smiling from riding the beast to work! :lol: One thing I've also noticed is that the turning angle of my R6 is piss poor compared to the 500cc bikes I was riding during my DAS. I tried to do a U-turn in a tightish road......f**k me, I nearly dropped the thing! I was also turning into this tight angled road at low speed and my fist was bloody touching the tank! Anyway, I'm sure I'll get use to it after a few more miles.

At the moment, I'm just taking it easy and enjoying the ride.....I love it! :)

I've still got to wear in the tired, so I can't lean too much and can't take the bike over 7K rpm until I've done the first service at 600miles.....oh well, another 500+ miles to sit back, take it easy and enjoy the ride in the glorious sunshine! :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ah the you have found the problem with the R6. Dont worry mate it will take a bit of time to get completely used to this. I still sometimes find my self close to over balancing on tight turn in's and on small min roundabouts.

Remember me telling you about the restrictive nature of clipons nearly 2 years ago?

OK for round a track.....but a pain in the ass (and wrist) in urban areas.

You want a nice 2 wheeled urban assault vehicle with high bars you do! :lol:

YOur fist day sounds kindof like mine. Scared as shit for the 1st 30 seconds, got into 2nd, got better, got better. got cocky, and while i was pulling in to get gas. I wailed on her with her waxy wheels with 2 km on them. nearly lost her in the middle of an intersection.

Havent spilt her out yet. hope not to would be very pricey to get her fixed.\

and Ya the turning radius on our yamaha speed demons isnt the greatest, but i do enjoy the lean. and at the flick of my wrist in 6th gear i fly by anything i command.

You been able to get your r6 on 1 wheel yet??

The more miles i put on the bike, the easier she gets on one wheel for me. but usually not until the 8000 rpm zone does she lift off

YOur fist day sounds kindof like mine. Scared as shit for the 1st 30 seconds, got into 2nd, got better, got better. got cocky, and while i was pulling in to get gas. I wailed on her with her waxy wheels with 2 km on them. nearly lost her in the middle of an intersection.

Havent spilt her out yet. hope not to would be very pricey to get her fixed.\

and Ya the turning radius on our yamaha speed demons isnt the greatest, but i do enjoy the lean. and at the flick of my wrist in 6th gear i fly by anything i command.

You been able to get your r6 on 1 wheel yet??

The more miles i put on the bike, the easier she gets on one wheel for me. but usually not until the 8000 rpm zone does she lift off

Hi Mate,

I've done about 150+ miles since I picked my bike up on Thursday, I've been keeping it under 7-8K rpm to run in the engine and taking it easy with new tyres and all. I haven't had it on one wheel yet and I think I won't be attempting it.....I'll probably Sh!t myself so it's not really worth dirtying my undies for it, and definitely not worth dropping my baby for it too. Personally, I'm not really into pulling wheelies and doing endos and stuff, I just want to learn how to ride the bike good and being able to control it in all situations whether I'm going at high or low speeds.

Once the engine has run in and I've done my first service, I'm going to do the Advanced. It's pretty good, teaches you to ride defensive and attacking at the right time and how to give yourself an escape route in all situations and keeping that clear area around you.

I've been doing alot of counter steering, it felt funny at first but then you realise that it's the best way to go round bends with and it becomes natural after a while. If quite amazing how alot people don't realise that they are doing it when they lean over. When approaching corners or bends, I just push the left or right bar (Depending on what direction bend your going into) a bit and it just turns easily and if you need to turn more, then I just lean over and it takes it round nice and smoothly. It's all good learning for me. :)

I've been riding in the rain too as I'm using my bike for commuting and stuff. You got to just take it extra easy, ride it more smoothly and and slow down a bit earlier and not to do any harsh breaking as you can easily fish tail the back wheel! As my instructor said, if you can ride in rain, you can ride in anything......not too sure if I'll ride in snow though!?? :unsure:

Anyway, gunna be doing more miles this week and it raining all this week in Manchester aswell, I'll just take it easy but it's hard when some idiot in a car is expecting you to always ride fast in a bike and wants to race you or something! I usually just accelerate off, if it's clear infront and they tend to back off after a while having realised that they can't keep up on 4 wheels if I wanted to really burn him off........idiots! The Girl Racers in done up hatch backs are the worst, they don't seen to know how fast bikes are and always trying to do some idiotic thing!

Gunna go out with some bike veterans on Sunday (meant to be Sunny on that day), and I hope they can teach me a thing or two. :)

John.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online