Adjustable clutch lever for wrist pain?

neversaydie
This post is 2873 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Had the fazer for a year now, my only grouch is that I am finding the clutch lever heavy going in town traffic, and suspect the same would be the case on a trackday. I gone through the lever/cable connections/adjustments etc, well lubricated, and cant get it any lighter. I consider that I have 3 options.

1) Convert to hydraulic (looks to be around £250 min spend)

2) Lighter clutch springs (may lead to clutch slippage/variation in pick up point)

3) Some thing like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZ6-FAZER-2004-2010-LONG-BLACK-BRAKE-CLUTCH-LEVERS-SET-TRACK-RACE-R12B2-/231408112680?hash=item35e0ff9428:g:~RUAAOSwDk5T91-i

Has anyone fitted these adjustable type levers, and do they reduce the leverage reqd to operate the clutch? Some internet comments seem to say so, does anyone have any real experience of them?

Thanks

Ray

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a set for the fz600 and like them. you can get short or long versions. If your having trouble with leverage, Id get the long ones.

buy them from aliexpress, way cheaper but takes longer to get here

http://www.aliexpress.com/af/fz6-brake-lever.html?ltype=wholesale&d=y&origin=n&isViewCP=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160229131735&SearchText=fz6+brake+lever

• Like 1

Since I posted this last night, a little more searching turned up an old thread on another forum. A guy in the states was extending the clutch slave lever for members, with positive results. I'll be in the garage tomorrow to investigate the posibilities.

You have moved the lever position so that with your fingers straight resting on the lever at the second knuckle in the straight ahead position your wrist and fingers are forming a straight line.

This will reduce wrist pain/tendon stress by a high margin, speaking as a carpel tunnel syndrome sufferer, now fixed but this made a huge difference to me.

My friend had this on his Kawasaki ER-6 that I used to borrow when he'd go abroad. Made all the difference to me and my short fingers. The levers had 6 steps - he typically used #6, I used #3 or #4 - BIG difference. Just make sure they're installed properly, and you'll wonder why you lived so long without them.

21 hours ago, Cynic said:

You have moved the lever position so that with your fingers straight resting on the lever at the second knuckle in the straight ahead position your wrist and fingers are forming a straight line.

This will reduce wrist pain/tendon stress by a high margin, speaking as a carpel tunnel syndrome sufferer, now fixed but this made a huge difference to me.

Aye, Ive tried adjustments to reduce the problem, and think im at the best i can get now. Freeplay is set as per the book. Its only a prblem with heavy town traffic.

The piccys show the standard and the modded levers. Ive managed to get hold of a second hand clutch cover unit for a good price from a breaker, clutch cover, lever and cable supprt bracket, so that I can can mod that and try it. If I cock it up, I can still revert back to original with no hassle

Standard.JPG

Modded lever.jpg

I had adjustable lever on my FJ when I buy it, I change it with standard one and I don`t feel any difference.well this is logic because can`t change the force you need to use to press the lever, and the same is on the cable ones. you will feel the difference probably if you have short fingers, but not my case. also the fj have hydraulic clutch and the xvs have cable. is a lot easier on xvs than on fj so, I don`t think if you move to hydraulic you will change something. the fj is a pain for me in heavy trafic because of the clutch, even now after I change the clutch spring with another one lighter (I don`t get any slippage). those adjustable levers are adjustable just on leght, give you as long or a short course, not easier or harder. well, that was doing what I had on FJ, I don`t feel any difference between lev 1 and 6. the good thing is, after 1000 miles in heavy traffic on my FJ, when I take the xvs, I feel like clutch lever don`t have any cable attached on it :)) 

the last pic you post, yes, that one will help, but don`t ask me how much, I had just hand levers adjustable 

There is one issue with extending the length of the slave lever.

If the lever is twice as long then the force needed will be half as much which is great, down side is the actual cable needs to travel twice as far to do the same work, so if you pull the lever over 1 inch normally the same movement will need 2. This may not help if you have early carpel tunnel.

Have you checked your not suffering from carpel tunnel because if you are your only buying time, I went down the same process 10 years ago with my old Suzuki (put the 12oo bandit hyd clutch on) and the pain still came back after a time. Its coming back now so may need another op but you should check it out.

To the OP, you do know the 'model specific clutch conversions' that run at £1/4k or more are just chinese kits like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-Clutch-Lever-Master-Cylinder-Pump-Pit-Dirt-Bike-125-150-160-200-250-cc-/321983376460

rebadged?

When the cable needs replacement on my FZ1, i'm gonna size one of these kits and do the conversion.

Edit: btw way that is the first example in google, try searching properly for more OEM looks, various sizes etc.

I try to just not use the clutch as much. Neutral at lights,,,move to 2nd as soon as possible,,,, watch tragic movements carefully means no changing gear,,,, lights go red you click to neutral and roll to a stop,,,, correct revs when rolling means select gear without clutch.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider before doing any work. You'll be surprised how much less ya can use the clutch when ya train yourself.

Wouldnt be a fan of putting in lighter clutch springs

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to making the extended lever, nice little job. Not fitting it just yet though. 

Not been out for a decent ride for a few weeks, lifes been shit recently. Got to see the consultant about the carpal tunnel last week. As the cortisone injection worked for the tyriger finger on the left hand, he suggested that there was a good chance it work work for the right hand carpal.

Pleased to say, it looks like he was right too. Had a decent ride out up to CMC Clay Cross and back this pm. Abolutely no cramps in the hand. Hoping it stays that way

S5000182.JPG

• Like 1

I know I keep on about it but the cortisone wont last forever and each time you go it is less effective. max number of jabs was 3 last I knew. Mine was too urgent in the end. Being a proper 'bloke' it was so advanced I was risking gangrene, I had permanent pins and needles in my left hand. oops

When I was tested it was 3 weeks from test to treatment (op).

Lever looks the part.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had some "me time" earlier this evening and fitted the home made extended lever

What a difference. I only moved it to the middle of the three holes to start with, and I couldnt be more pleased. Clutch is now as light as a feather, changes actually feel smother.

Ill keep a close eye on it, just to make sure its not creating a problem elsewhere on the linkage

Slave lever.JPG

if you can do something to remove the angle of the cable is a good idea to do it, at this angle your cable may be damaged in time... I think

Hmm, las has a point, looking at the earlier shots it does look like the bracket holding the cable outer is also a modified item.

Maybe there were some wear issues. Maybe something to look at esp as it works.

Yes, I need to obtain a spare guide now, and mod that to suit, dont like to risk cocking something up without a spare avilable. Oddly, it looks more misaligned on the photo than it really is. In the meantime, the cable is well lubed and will be checked every ride for fraying

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online