Just bought my first custom! Plus exhaust/insurance question

ElectroDan
This post is 2948 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone,

As of yesterday I am now the proud owner of a BEAUTIFUL XVS 1100 Custom in red/black.

It's been a while since I last owned a bike (10 years!) as where I've been living had nowhere to keep a bike, but now I've moved and have a garage I thought it only right I fill it with things that bring me joy. It'll also give my Dad someone else to go out with, as he's just bought a Valkyrie.

A question I wanted to ask, as I need to get insurance sorted, is does anyone know if a Remus exhaust system adds bhp or does it just create the wonderful sound I first experienced on the test ride? It seems some insurers won't insure the bike if the exhaust adds power, but if it doesn't I can bag a cheaper deal.

I also need to invest in a disc lock for the rear. I was thinking of getting a Mammoth, Oxford or Xena lock as Thatcham approved. Anyone had any problems with getting them to fit? I'll be getting a chain/padlock and anchor point for home but want a disc lock for carrying around.

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Dan,

Im pretty sure the Remus exhaust doesn't add BHP but even if it did, it would be so little its hardly worth declaring. Just say they add noise to the bike ;) the only way you are truly going to find out is to have it dyno run'd which yer is fun but having someone rag the shit out of your pride and joy squeezing every bit of power out of it can be gut wrenching to watch.

as for the disc lock, i've never used one so couldn't comment, if i rememebr my mates disc lock tho im pretty sure they are a universal fit as your just pushing a piston onto the disc to lock in place???

PS piccies are always a must in this place so show us the bike :thumb:

Xena disclocks are great, IMO and give you an added alarm feature.

REMEMBER to always put it right up against the back of the caliper, or the front if you'll need to reverse out - If ever you forget to remove it, this will stop the bike within inches, rather than allowing several feet of travel followed by an embarassing and potentially nasty spill. It happens...

the disklock will not help you in any way. forget about it... or, sometime you will forget about it and you will fuckup alone your own bike trying to go without remove it. yes, you can fit a remember cable and someday somebody will remove it and you don`t pay attention and you will go away with the disklock fited. if they want your bike, 300 g will not stop them to take your 280 kg bike. better invest in a smart alarm (scorpio sr-i900) with remote kill engine, half mile range for remote, proximity sensor. and no, will not ruinate your battery, i let the bike with full alarm, proximity sensor on in the garage for 2 weeks, and the battery was ok. ok, you can chose the cheaper variants from ebay but I guess you will have a lot of false alarm.

Thanks for the welcome and all the info guys, there are some good tips there which I'll take on board.

As requested, here's a photo of the beauty:

01.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lallasro said:

or, sometime you will forget about it and you will fuckup alone your own bike trying to go without remove it.

Hence putting it up against the caliper. I never even bothered with the reminder cables and on the few occasions I did forget, the caliper trick meant you could feel the wheel being hindered as you lift the bike off the sidestand. But having witnessed immobilisers fail mid-ride, I won't ever trust one on a bike.