Dark Visors?

JohnR6
This post is 6539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What's the Law on Dark Visors? I'm thinking of getting one as Summer is here and the Sun is blasting down but will I get pulled over by the Police?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What's the Law on Dark Visors? I'm thinking of getting one as Summer is here and the Sun is blasting down but will I get pulled over by the Police?

They are illegal and shouldnt be worn but if you do were one then i would be surprised if you got pulled over for this alone.

But remember this, if you do wear one then you are giving the police a reason to pull you over and most likely they will check over everything on your bike and your details! so if your bike is not 100% legal then dont give the police an opportunity.

Well thats my advise for what its worth

What a pisser!....Guess it's just another reason I'm glad i live where I do.

I've been wearing a dark visor year-round for the past 10+ years.....been pulled over plenty of times...

But NEVER for a dark visor.......even @ night! :blink:

I wear a dark irridium blue visor, very reflective look. and very hard to see with at night, but i love it. I can check out the ladies crossing the streets and they dont know the difference, but ya mine even says not street legal. but looks cool as hell. But its not like we are as bad as those Harley riders with beanie helmets that are illegal.

ive heard tickets on that sort of stuff will get me a 150$ fine out here.

but we will see

Where I am now, they don't give a fuck about your licence, visor, plate, or can.....or whether you're even wearing a helmet.....or even if there's FOUR people on a bike! And no, I'm not joking!

Best thing to do is always keep your clear visor with you, then if you do get pulled yuo can show them that yuo've got the a clear one should you need it. either put it inside your leathers or get one of the visor bags that strap round your waist. I've worn a dark visor since I started riding 6 years ago, I cover about 15thousand miles a year and have never been pulled yet.

I thought that they were legal (due to a loop hole in the law) but only during the day. After dusk they become illegal as light levels fall. Basically the police cant stop you from wearing shades which are in effect the same thing, so they cannot stop you wearing dark visors in situations where you need them.

Regards

Na your wrong mate they are illegal during the day. The reason for this is the DSA consider it a permanent fixture. You can wear sun glasses underneath and is completely legal as its not considered permanent and can simply be taken off when the light reduces. Police have far too much work to do (like eat doughnuts) rather than pull you for this offence so its unlikely you will get pulled over. i think the previous guy was correct in saying carry a clear spare with you.

What is legal is the tinted strips you can buy for your visor as they can be removed and chucked away.

Hope this helps

Edited by Scott

Where I am now, they don't give a fuck about your licence, visor, plate, or can.....or whether you're even wearing a helmet.....or even if there's FOUR people on a bike! And no, I'm not joking!

Geez Pete!....Again Spain sounds just like Mexico! :blink:

Have to agree with Scott on this one, they are illegal at anytime. The law requires them to pass a minimum amount of light and as even a 'clear' visor stops a quite high degree of light passing through any shading reduces it further.

I didn't know about the strip things though, they sound useful!

Andy

Dark visors are illegal for uk road use day or night.What you want is a tinted visor insert that fits inside your clear visor.They are made by a few companys but the oxford ultra vision is best.(£5.00)Lots of colours available.This is a very good legal alternative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Is that the helmet out there which has two fixed visors?

But i always used the visor inserts, excellent and look just the same

I use a dark pin-lock insert in my arai which is great and because it isn't permanent is completely ok. This has another use as it stops it misting too so you don't have to lift it when ever you're stopped at lights etc.

Guest Tomg

Dark visors are illegal for uk road use day or night.What you want is a tinted visor insert that fits inside your clear visor.They are made by a few companys but the oxford ultra vision is best.(£5.00)Lots of colours available.This is a very good legal alternative.

i think i will look into those as they sound pretty good. im looking into getting a mirrored one because they lok sh!t hot!!

I have a Caberg helmet with the second dark visor. Very good but it has little sound proofing (Or I have big ears)

is that the caberg jusstimo helmet? my dad has one of those which has the flip up face as well. looks pretty funky!! :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online