Adding lighting to a DT250MX

Ravies
This post is 2959 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

What is the procedure for adding headlight, indicators, brake light and possibly horn (general road legality, MOT passing kind of stuff) to a bike that left the factory without them?

I figured that the best way would be to replace the magneto with one from a road legal DT250, which has a lighting coil - problem is, ebay says that all of those (all of them!) are in the states and are very expensive. Short of trawling bike shows for someone that has exactly what I'm looking for, what are my options?

Bear in mind also that the bike doesn't have to be practical but it does have to be pretty.

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the bike is a DTmx then there should be a lighting coil already on the stator plate, if the motor is a YZ then thats different.

I would look for a wiring harness for a DT250MX, if you look at CMSLN website on there pdf parts list and cross reference the lighting

coil part numbers against other models.

TTB

Is that the bike in your avatar ?, looks like a  DT250D/E/F,   E REAL mx250 would have no oil pump and bigger exhaust .  pull the fly wheel see what in there, 2 coils and your in business :rolleyes:

Oh splendid, I appear not to have asked that stupid a question, that's a good start. Cheers to you both for getting back to me.

I think there's quite a lot of confusion around what bike it is to be honest. I suspect it might be a bit of a mish-mash? I thought it was the MXs that had the monoshock? I'll take a look at that parts list and see what I can see.

Either way you've both given me new hope. Pulling the flywheel and having a good old fashioned look should probably have been plan A. Do I need a flywheel puller necessarily, or can one be improvised?

Thanks again,

Ash

Yeh ,  there cheap,  , you"l need a tool to hold flywheel to undo nut,. I use a filter chain. ,  then the puller has left hand thread, then bolt thru middle pushes against crank end, ..  Yours is a  dt250mx,  and has a mono shock, [ one].  like my DT250D ,  .here,

Finished019.jpg

Yeah I think Yambits have them for like £8 or so which is about right for something I'll probably only use a handful of times in my life. So if it's a DT250MX then it should theoretically have a lighting coil? I'll get that tool ordered and crack it open.

Immaculate bike by the way. Hopefully I'll have something similar to show one day but I'm a ways off yet! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online