When cars are turning out of junctions.....

JohnR6
This post is 6543 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you look the drivers in the eye when they are at a junction just to make sure that they've seen you?

The scary thing is that sometimes, people look in your direction and they don't even see you......I had that done to me during my DAS lesson but I knew the driver was gunna pull out so I managed to stop in time! :angry:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Best thing to do is treat all car drivers as idiots. I know this is harsh but helps prevent accidents.

My advise is not to look in the drivers eyes as it distracts you from looking most importantly ahead of you! Try to position yourself towards the centre of the road to allow maximum room incase the car was to edge out.

Well, two replies and two different schools of thought because I do look them straight in the eye (if possible) but then I would also be thinking about my position on the road relative to them and other traffic. Every circumstance is different but depending on the distance from myself to the vehicle waiting to pull out I tend to move out toward the centre line of the road as I feel that it gives me a bit more room to manouvre if they do pull out, although it can be an advantage to be able to go round the back of them if they do pull out, possibly due to the distance between you being quite large (just not large enough!).

I could be wrong on this but I feel that altering the approach line of my bike to them also gives them more liklihood of seeing me. I always use dipped my headlight and by moving the line of the light relative to their vision hopefully it will catch their attention.

One thing we do agree on though, treat all other road users (including bikes!) as idiots and always expect the unexpected!

Andy

Expect EVERY car at EVERY junction to pull out in front of you.....and always give yourself an escape route in case they do.

When you expect the unexpected then you're rarely taken by surprise.

I could be wrong on this but I feel that altering the approach line of my bike to them also gives them more liklihood of seeing me. I always use dipped my headlight and by moving the line of the light relative to their vision hopefully it will catch their attention.

Spot on Andy! It's never taught or mentioned....but if you keep changing your lane position all the time you'll attract attention. From behind and in front.

Test the theory....get somebody to hold 2 lit torches in front of you....one stationery and one moving from side to side.

And you won't notice the stationery one, your whole attention will focus on the moving one.

Yep....another adavantage of 2-Wheels is the amount of room in any given lane compared to cars.

I've always been in the frame of mind to be seen or be Killed :huh: ......thus changing lane positions on a regular basis.....With the increasing amount of motorists on the road these days, being seen is of the utmost importance to Surviving ;)

Best thing to do is treat all car drivers as idiots. I know this is harsh but helps prevent accidents.

My advise is not to look in the drivers eyes as it distracts you from looking most importantly ahead of you! Try to position yourself towards the centre of the road to allow maximum room incase the car was to edge out.

sorry mate i disagree car drivers are not all idiots i drive for a living and drive a car and used to ride a dt125r for pleasure classing car drivers as idiots is just proving your mentality............. it kills me to say it but alot of bikers are main causes of accident not entusiasts as such but just alot of bikers in general the amount of times i have been driving up motorway at 70 mph check all my mirrors then indicate then check mirrors again all is still clear the second you start to turn wheel you get some ass riding between two lanes of traffic at like 100 mph thats what causes accidents not just motorways though it happens at stationery junctions there is a gap a push bike would struggle though yet some bikers go for it then sit at lights and pull away on green and take ther time about it to thats annoying also bikers willing to travel at speeds over 150 mph on the back wheel so i class most bikers as a danger not car drivers and if car does not see you then where something brighter... i used to do these things myself but with less speed so i know it happens infact i see it happen on a daily basis.

last week a local bristol councellor believ or not took a bed at something like 80 mph whilst trying to zip past a car it serves him right really as he ended up in a shop window

i agree with the theory class all other drivers as idiots though whether it be cars bike lorrys vans especially mopeds they are mainly idiots as i never have had an accident i have had alot of near misses none have never been my fault i always get an exit route i have been lucky so far and what i have also noticed the worst road users are lorry drivers that overtake on the motorway that really fooks me off you get to arctic lorrys both restriced to 56 mph and one pulls out and trys to overtake the other its annoying because it takes them like 5 minutes to do this generally and you always get some cock sitting in fast lane at 65 mph and not moving over to middle lane infact that is stupidity.....................classing car drivers as idiots only is not right as bikers are exactly the same as cars they pull out and dangerous chances to remember its not what you drive or ride its you if YOU the pilot

rant over lol

dont reply cause i cant be bothered to talk on this subject as this is one thing that make me lose my rag

Edited by mozzy

My father never rode a motorcycle, but he said to me (about 45 years ago) "Treat everyone else on the road as a homicidal maniac determined to kill you."

I wish he'd lived long enough for me to say thank you, because I honestly believe that his advice has kept me alive until now.

Guest Tomg

..treat EVERYONE as if they are idiots and are going to do something wrong.

a good way to get yourself noticed;

wear a large mohekan on your helmet (works for me when filtering to get to college),

rev your twatish whineing 50 engine and everybody instantly knwos where you are!!!, :P

also if you have them ride with your hazards on people seem to notice those well i don't so i use the first two!

and it makes more fun for me because i get to wear a stupid big mohekan on my helmet in red that matches my jacket and bike!! I F**KING LOVE IT!!

dear o dear i can't wait to get on my next one, even louder exhaust on that and it turns red in some lights and angles (paintwork) mohekan can stay as well!!! :D

One other part of the car that is worth looking at is the wheels. It is easier to distinguish movement of the car from the relative rotation of the wheel nuts rather than looking for motion of the whole vehicle. This gives you a bit more notice if the car starts moving. Keep safe and ride defensively.

One other part of the car that is worth looking at is the wheels. It is easier to distinguish movement of the car from the relative rotation of the wheel nuts rather than looking for motion of the whole vehicle. This gives you a bit more notice if the car starts moving. Keep safe and ride defensively.

then you hit kerb where you are to busy staring at car whgeel

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online