Dt125r will only run on choke

Scotty775
This post is 2993 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all

never used a forum for advice before but this bike is getting on my nerves :(

I have a dt125r 2003 I recently bought as a non runner, I rebuilt the engine all new seals and bearing and gaskets. The bike will run fine with the choke out but as soon as I take the choke off it won't tick over or even Rev! I have had the carb striped and cleaned (all fine). Reed block and reeds are fine. New piston and rings (barrel is fine) compression is good 

anyone had this problem before? 

Many infomation would be helpful 

thanks 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did you fill the seals with grease/oil between the lips?

Yip,  it has to be the pilot jet,  take it out,   can you rev it with choke on,   hold 3000 rpm,  then turn off choke ,see what happens,

engine needs to be cold,   or choke will kill it too.

When the choke is on it revs up fine and ticks over. I've put 3 different carbs on the bike and still does the same?

13 hours ago, Simon46 said:

Did you fill the seals with grease/oil between the lips?

No? Never done this before when I have rebuilt a engine? 

If you have tried 3 carbs then you must have got something wrong elsewhere, the carb just looks like the problem because of the choke.

Either there is a bad seal in there, (could you have torn it during fitting) or not notice a wear ridge on the seal seating area. Also, in the past I have had my dt running like this when I got the ig wrong after a rebuild.

I burnt the lips off my brand new gearbox seal in under a week. It was pumping oil everywhere because I forgot to lube it.

My bad

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online