Not starting off electric start but starting off kick.

Macey22
This post is 2991 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Any help appreciated. My bikes been fine electrical wise since I've had it I went to go out on it two days ago hit the electric start it sounded normal and then it just made a dull noise when I pressed it,  so I kicked it and it started took it for a ride came back tried the electric start immediately and it fired straight up. So the next morning tried electric start again and it made the usual noise then just died out and made a errr noise again every time I pressed it. So I took the battery off only to notice the plastic bits on top holding the fluid in weren't pushed all the way in so I done that put it on charge and it read as fully charged so I put it back in the bike pressed the electric start and it started fine next morning went to warm it up pressed the electric start it made the usual noise as of it was gonna make it tick over then the dull errr again all my indicators and lights work still so I don't know what the problem is. Yamaha xt125x. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the fluid caps were loose, what's the fluid level like?

If the battery is reading as fully charged but dying quickly you may well have a cell down

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Take the caps off and have a look in the holes, use a torch if needed. The metal plates should be covered with liquid. If they're exposed, top up with distilled (de-ionised) water and then try charging again.

Sounds like the battery is knackered though.

• Like 2

Probably low electrolyte level or dead battery as above. You have enough voltage to make a spark when you kick start, but when you press the starter, you could be trying to draw 150 amps or even more, depending on the bike. The voltage drops right down, too low to power the ignition.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info people it's going to the shop on Monday I explained what was happening to the mechanic and he thinks it might be a problem with the solenoid starter or the starter motor but when it dries up outside I'll have a look at the fluid level and get back to you. Thanks. 

I haven't been able to go to the mechanics today the weathers crap. I took my cover off earlier nearly lost it in the process turnt the ignition on lights came on indicators worked but no noise this time from the electric start, so i kicked it and it started so I turned it off pressed the electric start and it made the dull errrr noise but didn't start do you reckon it could be the battery? I don't want to take it to the mechanic if I can help im pretty skint at the moment but I will if need be. 

Buy or borrow one of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Multimeter-Multitester-AC-DC-Voltmeter-Ammeter-OHM-Circuit-Checker-/131572794442?hash=item1ea259844a:g:EVUAAOSwLVZVwhAy

Set on DC volts and check battery voltage. Should be about 12v.Get someone to press the starter button and see what the voltage drops to. If it's much less than 9 or 10 volts  (from memory) you've most probably got just a duff battery. Even if you have to take it in for something else, the meter will stand you in good stead for lots of jobs.

• Like 1

I got a new battery yesterday put it on bike starts fine now. I'll just wait and see if anything is draining the power whilst it's off. If it weren't for all you lot giving me info I would have went mechanics and paid a lot more for labour etc you lot are ace thanks for all the help guys. finnerz89,  KirriePete, Derekm and neversaydie.