Car Insurance?

Ttaskmaster
This post is 2996 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Heya,

Following a long episode of "needs must", I've been forced to get a 'licence to sit in traffic'.
After a few months of being a Named on the Mrs's car and putting over 10k miles on the work van (that being the 'needs must' part), I'm now in the market for a cage.

So I'm shopping around for inshoo-rance and they all ask how long I've had my licence...

Do they mean when I got my 4-wheel category, or just in general?
I'd have thought the former, but since I have an accident to declare that occurred *before* I got the B-Cat, I'm  wondering if it's actually the latter?

Some ask if I have use of another car, while others actually ask if I have a bike too - Do they therefore factor in the years of trouble-free road experience I've had on the bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looking for length of time you've had your car licence

Use of another car/van

When you report the bike accident you may need to phone the Ins company to clarify 

Funnily enough I've just had to renew both me and the wifes insurance today. We used to have them separated by 6 months then a few years ago we signed up to a multi car policy which brought them together...bad move as they were only cheaper for a year or two before we went onto single policies again

Anyway this was the first time I've been asked  specifically about my claim free biking  with regards to my car policy

1 hour ago, jimmy said:

When you report the bike accident you may need to phone the Ins company to clarify 

So my premiums could be insanely high because I have an accident logged from 2 years before my actual licence started?

I don't know Bud...but knowing how the fekkers rob us all annually, probably

Don't mention insanely high premiums, I've spent the entire day looking for insurance quotes for a 19 year old who passed her car test yesterday. No wonder so many drive without insurance. I reckon a fifth of her income will be going on her car, and that's with me and the wife buying the damn thing.

my 22 year old lad pays £2100 for an old 06 reg fiesta van 1.4 diesel , I pay £285  for my 2.2ltr mondeo  , !!! figure that out,

15 hours ago, g1hsg said:

Don't mention insanely high premiums,

I'm a ways past the 35 year old mark... and I'm getting quotes as high as £3,500 for an £800 car from 1984. It's actually cheaper if I do not add the Ttaskmistress and her 10 years no claims as a Named...

33 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

and I'm getting quotes as high as £3,500 for an £800 car from 1984. 

Yea but what are your lowest quotes

2 hours ago, jimmy said:

Yea but what are your lowest quotes

£2,800, if I'm completely honest about everything.

2.8 FFS 

What about as the main driver on your wifes car and she takes out another policy on the new car

2 minutes ago, jimmy said:

2.8 FFS 

What about as the main driver on your wifes car and she takes out another policy on the new car

1/. They're wise to that.
2/. They won't insure me on hers at all. She had to fight just to get me Named and it cost an extra £400 just for that.
3/. She is NOT getting her filthy mitts on MY Supra!!

10 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

1/. They're wise to that.
2/. They won't insure me on hers at all. She had to fight just to get me Named and it cost an extra £400 just for that.
3/. She is NOT getting her filthy mitts on MY Supra!!

Well there lies the rub

I assume a Toyota Supra 3 litre, first car, zero NCD,

Points?

You need to get realistic matey.  A 1.0 Polo or similar for a year or two....or pay the £2.8

12 minutes ago, jimmy said:

Well there lies the rub

I assume a Toyota Supra 3 litre, first car, zero NCD,

Points?

You need to get realistic matey.  A 1.0 Polo or similar for a year or two....or pay the £2.8

I think they assume that as well... But no - It's a totally unmodded MkII 1984 Celica Supra 2.8L
Prices are almost exactly the same whether I get a Mk2, 3 or 4...

Weird thing is, last year when one was offered to me, a previous quote search yielded only £350 fully comp!!
Seems prices have hiked massively over Christmas.

Not 'first car' as such, as I've been Named on the Mrs's and been driving a works van on company insurance.
No points or nuthin'...
1L Polo = £1,800 TPO.

VW Golf, Skoda Fabia, Bugatti Veyron, doesn't seem to matter what kind of car it is, even the "Top 10 Cheapest To Insure" ones are in the same bracket. According to woman on the phone, who expected it would be about £300 FC, it turns out it's so high because I've not had car insurance before... So like how I cannot get a credit card because I've never had a credit card.

Fuck, man... When I was a brand new rider hopping on a first bike, they only wanted £280 FC with every imaginable trimming. These days I get seriously arsey on the phone if they even dare *think* of charging me more than £100 for the full monty on the FJ.... Do they just quadruple the purchase price of the car and go, "Yeah, that'll do"?

Seems very steep for a polo, my boy first year on his polo was £500 odd, down to just over £300 now (3rd year on that car)

8 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Not 'first car' as such, as I've been Named on the Mrs's and been driving a works van on company insurance

1st car on your own Insurance Policy, and it's still a 2.8l sports car (some companies can give you a NCD for being on a policy, I know direct line did for my wife when she got her first car)

Anyway matey, just done a quote for myself on that car  £200.75 with Hastings direct Fully Comp.....sorry

On 2 February 2016 at 0:02 PM, Ttaskmaster said:

Heya,

Following a long episode of "needs must", I've been forced to get a 'licence to sit in traffic'.
After a few months of being a Named on the Mrs's car and putting over 10k miles on the work van (that being the 'needs must' part), I'm now in the market for a cage.

So I'm shopping around for inshoo-rance and they all ask how long I've had my licence...

Do they mean when I got my 4-wheel category, or just in general?
I'd have thought the former, but since I have an accident to declare that occurred *before* I got the B-Cat, I'm  wondering if it's actually the latter?

Some ask if I have use of another car, while others actually ask if I have a bike too - Do they therefore factor in the years of trouble-free road experience I've had on the bike?

This is why I got a bike, with 6 points my insurance is well over 6k on most cars. 

Not to mention what i got quoted for the golf I had.

im not too suprised though as Im still 18, my bike insurance is still just over 2k, but I guess this is payback for me being stupid and getting points!! :) 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online