Hi there

Hoodles25
This post is 2975 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

Following a change at work our car parking has been taken away so I am due to do my CBT on Friday. I have never ridden before (apart from a 1hr taster) and was brought up on the whole bikes are bad by my parents. While I'm fairly apprehensive I'm also a little bit excited!

I am looking at purchasing a 2nd hand YBR 125 as it will hopefully hold some value if / when I do my DAS and I look to trade it in. I know very little about bikes though so I was hoping to get some handy hints / advice on things I should look for?

The bike I have my eye on is a 2009 model with 4400 miles on the clock, advertised at £1695. It is advertised by a localish classic motorcycle restorer / dealer that have positive reviews on google so I'm hoping I won't come across any nasty surprises.

Most of the bikes on sale from dealers are newer bikes and around the £2k mark, does the bike I'm looking at sound reasonably priced?

Any tips for buying a second hand bike would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Quentin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi quentin " THE YBR  is reliable,.  easy maintained too,   go easy for a start ,  don't trust cars, they never see  you at junctions ,coz half them are on mobiles or stereo up too loud , and theyre dreaming,,  you"l love it ,  especially  filtering traffic jams, [ its legal]  and when summer arrives, :welcome:

• Like 1

welcome Quentin. As blackhat250 says the YBR is a good starting point. One bit of advice, from someone's who has been riding on two wheels for the past 40 odd years , on approaching junctions if you don't make eye contact with the car driver take it as read he HAS NOT seen you. Make full use of this forum its a wealth of advice and information. Cheers

• Like 2

On Tuesday, February 02, 2016 at 7:09 AM, Hoodles25 said:

Thanks for the advice, I don't trust anyone on the roads, riding a motorcycle will probably just make me even more cynical!

What someone call?

Solid bike the ybr. Simple advice really.

Tyres and brakes should be the best you can afford and short other stuff if you have to. Unless you can see otherwise on any bend, junction or crest be prepared for the worst.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:11 PM, Hoodles25 said:

The bike I have my eye on is a 2009 model with 4400 miles on the clock, advertised at £1695. It is advertised by a localish classic motorcycle restorer / dealer that have positive reviews on google so I'm hoping I won't come across any nasty surprises.

Personally I would pay between £1100/1300 for a 2009 YBR. Not sure what anyone else thinks. I bought a 2010 model for £1500 in 2014 with 6k miles. Which if you had been a bit quicker you could have picked up for a lot less than that!  - But anyway if your heart is set on it I am certain they would knock off around £100-200 - which I am sure you will appreciate when it comes to buying gear.

There are a bunch of guides on buying used bikes but I would say if it has not been in an accident (Which should be apparent from cosmetic damage/bent handlebars/scratches etc if not declared) that a YBR with 4k on the clock should not really have any issues. (and if it does it should have a warranty as it is not a private sale)

Thank you for all the advice, its really appreciated. 

I was wondering about the price because I know that for an extra few hundred I can get a newer bike for similar miles. I am going to see it tomorrow and I will find out whether the guy has done any work on it to warrant the price tag. 

The main draw to this bike is that it is relatively local and it will make it easier to take it back if there's anything which needs fixing.

Malleus makes a good point. Buying your kit at the same time as the bike may get you a decent saving. Esp if it could be the decider on the deal as discounting heavily on 200quids worth of mid range leathers for a 1500 quid sale would be difficult for them to knock back.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online