Jack or Lift the Bike

Campaman
This post is 2951 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As the XVS650 only has a side stand I am looking for a way to get the bike stood upright for working on it, Ideally a DIY option as I can't really warrant spending any cash on a bespoke lift at this point due to uncertainty at work.

I have a trolley jack, axle stands and a bottle jack and some nice length of timber approx. 5" x 1" as well as other odds and ends

Any DIY ideas and where to actually jack it from.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Assuming that the bike has the two frame spars (like the xvs125), I used to put a stout piece of timber on the trolley jack, position the jack centrally under the front of the frame

lock the rear brake on, raise the jack carefully so that only the front wheel lifts (rear stays on the deck)

once high enough for the axle stands, slip them under the frame as close to the jack as you can get them

lower caefully onto the stands. Should be nice and solid on that

repeat the process now with the jack as far back as you can safely get it, slip your stands/timbers under the frame as close to the jack etc etc

lower carefully onto stands/supports

someone holding the bike while you do this is a big help, same when youve finished

Yeah it does have two frame spars running the full length front to rear, I was thinking along those lines.

My real problem is apart from the wife I have no one around to help, its a pain just trying to check the oil level, trying to balance the bike against the house wall while holding onto it, and trying to see the level window.

I will have a play at the weekend.

For simply checking the oil level, I would stick the sidestand on a block of wood, shaved to the exact height for keeping the bike almost completely upright. It had a very slight lean and I'd hold the left bar for extra safety, but oil checks is all I'd use it for.
Anything else would be a long block on a trolley jack or a dedicated bike jack. I'd personally recommend the oil or gas filled ones with two spars (pallet style) perpendicular to the frame, so you can lift the exact height you require. The rotary gear scissor lifts are a bit pants, but somewhat cheaper.

If you can stretch to it, get the bigger twin spar car version and strap the bike to it to keep it from tipping.
No experience of them myself, but you could also look at those ride-in wheel chocks that lock the front wheel and thus hold the whole thing upright...

macro did a bike lift, I still use mine but I have to take off the exhaust to use it

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/motorcycle-lift-jack-34-50-inc-vat-480120

Thanks for the suggestions, money can not be spent at this point as I am currently on a four day week.

Found this while searching, which may have possibilities

http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/page/5760709/Motorcycle%20Lifts

It will still be lifting the engine not the frame... Thats the problem I have I use a bike trolley jack but the engine is just below the two frame spars so it will be lifting the bike from the engine... Unlike my old VL800 which lifted on the spars as they were below the level of the engine

Campaman, I made one of those for my XVS1300. Worked well enough to let me change dog bones etc but it won't be much use for say removing a tyre.

If you do go that route, you really need someone able to take the weight of the bike when you lower it back down. My brother helped with the 1300 but nearly dropped it as lowering isn't smooth/easily controllable.

• 2 weeks later...

Campaman

I made one similar to that, mainly to keep the bike upright in the garage and take up less room.  I added a bit of carpet on the top to protect the frame.

It works fine.  I lay it flat and push it back until it touches the rear wheel - you may have to ease the bike a bit upright at this stage to slide it under the frame - then pull up.  I can easily get it on and off by myself.  You may need to adjust the handle length so that it clears the side stand.  I just noticed that I have my handle vertical when bike on stand - this may be why it is easier to control on way down, the handle moves forward

Good luck

On 27/01/2016 at 10:50 AM, Ttaskmaster said:

For simply checking the oil level, I would stick the sidestand on a block of wood, shaved to the exact height for keeping the bike almost completely upright. It had a very slight lean and I'd hold the left bar for extra safety, but oil checks is all I'd use it for.

+1 works a treat

On 27/01/2016 at 3:02 PM, drewpy said:

macro did a bike lift, I still use mine 

Still use mine but over kill just for checking oil, using a block of wood under sidestand is so much quicker.

Managed to get it just about upright at the weekend with a block of wood under the side stand and the trolley jack on the other side (lump of carpet on it) to stop it falling over, strapped the rear wheel to my ground anchor so it couldn't move forward or backwards, fine for checking the oil.

Got a small oil leak which I believe is from the neutral switch so that will be the next job that I need to get it a bit more upright for.

There's a point just behind the sump where you can get a lift under the frame and not touch anything else - IIRC, they intended to have a centrestand as an optional accessory or something, as there're holes drilled and everything... saw it when I was under mine on Sunday.

Cheers, will have a look this weekend.

As above, a piece of wood under the side stand. For extra peace of mind, once the bike is square, measure and cut two lengths of 2" x 2" coming out at an angle from the bottom yoke to the ground. This will help stabilise it

Obviously just for oil changes not for lifting

Why the fuss for checking the oil.

Check the oil properly first. Then when you know its good park it where you normally would. Then using a welding rod/ bent up coat hanger long enough to check the oil dipstic style.

Open oil filler and dip the gearbox. Mark the level (permanantly with a hacksaw mark or put a kink in the rod)and keep as your oil checker and then you dont need it stood straight up to check the oil.

Especially as the easier it is to check the more you will do it.

• Like 1

Depends if there's anything inside the sump that the dipstick could rest/catch on, giving inconsistent results...

No. You just need to form a stop. A simple loop stopping the dipstic going in an uncontroled amount. The loop only need be larger than the filler hole.

Dip stick idea may be useful for the oil checks, but its still a pain trying to do any work on that side of the bike, even cleaning it due to the amount of lean on the side stand.

The old back aint what it used to be, doesn't like being bent right over doing things.

On 22/02/2016 at 8:05 PM, Cynic said:

No. You just need to form a stop. A simple loop stopping the dipstic going in an uncontroled amount. The loop only need be larger than the filler hole.

I read this and thought the dipstick idea was a good one, so I would give it a try.  Beats crawling on the garage floor.

However when I took the filler plug off I find you can't get a dipstick in the sump - there are baffles or something just inside the filler hole.  Or at least there is on my XVS650A. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online