growing a beard

eddiebadboy
This post is 2647 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

had a goatee for 10 years or more, but usually trim it (number 1) decided to grow it long. got it about 4 inches long, a year later its still the same. how do you grow a beard? there must be bearded bikers on here

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
14 minutes ago, eddiebadboy said:

had a goatee for 10 years or more, but usually trim it (number 1) decided to grow it long. got it about 4 inches long, a year later its still the same. how do you grow a beard? there must be bearded bikers on here

They have to keep a low profile these days in case they're mistaken for hipsters. I was in Islington last month and every second bloke I saw was sporting some wispy face creation. Bah humbug.....

Hair grows as long as it grows, I tried for long hair when I was an unkempt youth, think 'kin missile' and other quality 'fringe' music. (google em)

Anyhow, sharing a house with students I fell into their world. But with MONEY, heh good times. Anyway I tried growing my hair, it got to my shoulders and stopped. Looked like a bad bob so I got a pretty severe undercut (shaved area was above my ears by a good inch and a half). Was cool at the time and thankfully no photo's.

On one drunken bike rally I nearly got a tattoo on the bare skin, dodged a bullet there.

1 hour ago, Cynic said:

Hair grows as long as it grows, I tried for long hair when I was an unkempt youth, think 'kin missile' and other quality 'fringe' music. (google em)

Anyhow, sharing a house with students I fell into their world. But with MONEY, heh good times. Anyway I tried growing my hair, it got to my shoulders and stopped. Looked like a bad bob so I got a pretty severe undercut (shaved area was above my ears by a good inch and a half). Was cool at the time and thankfully no photo's.

On one drunken bike rally I nearly got a tattoo on the bare skin, dodged a bullet there.

King Missile, they of Detachable Penis fame....................

That'l be the ones, PWEI too, still got some of their tapes in the loft I think, nothing to play em on mind lol. Its their old drummer Fuzz Townsend does the car sos stuff.

Still wonder about the tat, now I kinda wish I had but it would have hurt like a bastard, (apparently its like having a wookpecker on speed going at your head) and I would prob regret it now as it would have been my equally drunken mates giving me tat advice which is NEVER good.

I described my first tat (done by a scratcher in his kitchen whilst his wife made rolls and sliced sausage) as being like a guy plunging a hot knife in my arm and carving a shape in it. Vowed never to do it again, but a month later I was sat there again enjoying the same pain and another roll on slice (but only because I felt unbalanced with just one arm done)

My first tat was done by Tattoo Jack, on West Derby Rd in Liverpool. Can't say it was that painful but it was on my bicep, one of the fleshier bits of my body. I took my daughter to a jobs fair for Camp America in Liverpool last week and was amazed to see that the studio is still there, although now run by his son. That made me feel old.........

Mine was a simple choice at an Outlaws bike rally.

My stag do, bungee jump or get inked? so I got inked. Jumping out of a basket 200feet in the air didn't appeal.

Oddly a year earlier my mate was faced with the same choice and took the jump, go figure? He still cannot get up the nerve for a tat and he's in his 40's now.

Well, I don't know how we got from growing a beard to tatts. But, I have twenty and the first nineteen cost a total of £8.00 while the twentieth cost £50.00!!

Talk about going off on a tangent eh.

30 minutes ago, finnerz89 said:

Mine cost £80 an hour....

I suppose tattoos in the sixties were different from nowadays. Mine are all individual ones whereas now they are all "sleeves or half sleeves" or tribal even.

When I came back from the far east in 1967 I most likely was the only person in town to have that many tattoos if not the only one.

Yeah it's all different. I should hopefully have my first full sleeve finished next month, and then I'll have to even it up and get my other arm done! Haha

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Trouble is they all end up as green splodge, its the only thing that's put me off more, mine originally had loads of colour now its just shades of green although I would like some of the steampunk stuff I have seen, depends on the tat man though. erm, and getting the wife onside. The stag do tat was up on the limits, she can't stand em.

All comes down to quality equipment, inks and aftercare as well though!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Tattoos from the sixties. Bearing in mind they are fifty years old.

P1230009_zpswsfuloiy.jpgP1230011_zpsjzbdarni.jpg

• Like 1

Mike - reminds me of my dad...! He got his tattoos from various places around the world whilst in the navy. Only has 5 - biceps and forearms, but very typical of the times. They used to be full of colour, but not anymore.

His best one though? A small ladybird on his stomach. Got it in Japan as a drunken dare whilst docked there. Shortly afterwards he stole a locals bicycle and launched himself off the end of a dock. Sums him up perfectly...!

• Like 2

Most of mine was done in Singapore in 1965/66 when I was 16/17 by one tattooist called Johnny Gurkha whilst in the RN. When was your dad in the Andrew?

1962 to 1971. Served on HMS Ambush then Ocelot and Onslaught, from memory.

Bleeding Ell Bips. I was in from 1965 to 1973.

Ambush was an "A" class boat (submarines were called boats, never subs)

After them came the "P" & "O" boats of which your dads came under the "O" class boat.

If you look at my avitar it's HMS/m Porpoise which is one of the "P" class boats, both classes were electric/diesel which unfortunately no longer exist.

P class boats

O class boats

I appreciate this might be boring for you but it might be of interest to your dad, I hope.

• Like 1