XVS950A Key question

volrider
This post is 2956 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just bought a 2013 XVS950A it has the red key and one black one, what I need to know can I buy a new black key if so where from and how to programme it? Can the red key be used as a black key if needed or is it just for programming the black keys?

Many thanks Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dealer can probably program another key using the red key. tbh it really should have come with all three keys, this would be my first avenue of enquiry if I were you, if they don't have it they should get one free of charge imo 

While I'm sure the red key could possibly be used for driving, it says not to use it for driving only to re register the black keys. Just leave it somewhere safe. If you loose it and then need a new key you will need a whole new immobilizer system.

Thanks for the reply, the non Yamaha dealer said the original owner could not find the spare key... Shame as the original owner had kept the original pipes and lots of documentation on the add on's he had fitted to the bike, I guess he just misplaced it which happens. I will contact the local Yamaha dealer and see if they can get me a new black key and program it. Not cheap I guess..

• 1 month later...

you can use the red key but better keep it safe, if you lose it, you will regret. and I don`t think you need a yamaha dealer to programme a new key, but I guess you will need to buy a key from them to be sure you get the correct key, with the chip. search on google for how to programme a new key or, pay something around 30-50 pounds on dealer to do it :)

be aware, the US version don`t have the chip, I think just australian and european ones have chip keys, so, if you buy a key from another source than a yamaha dealer, be sure you buy what you need.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online