Ok is it just me!!

slice
This post is 2975 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Finally... For the first time in ages I've been able to log into this site via Tapatalk. That's one of the reasons for my silence, I use that app for other forums and find it easier to navigate around and view unread posts etc.

Lazy, I know - but I got a little fed up with the spate of changes so stopped logging in via my browser.

But anyway, whatever changes you made recently have sorted Tapatalk - so thanks Alex!

I work in IT, with systems so appreciate the task you have on your hands, especially when it's not your actual job. For what they are worth, my suggestions for a potential smoother upgrade process in the future:

- Consider purging your database to get rid of ancient / obsolete data. Appreciate there are a lot of valuable topics in places like the workshops etc - but areas like the welcome section can be cleaned out after a period of time. They offer no value long term and just take up space.

- Trouble with a general forum (any manner of Yamaha model), you're naturally going to get a large number of accounts. Again consider deleting unused ones from a defined timeframe. Get a comms sent out forewarning them if worried about repercussions.

- Pointless functionality, or lesser used functionality should be switched off, as you've done with the garage. Just an extra thing to maintain and support.

If you would like any assistance then just give me a shout. I've got a lot out of this forum (knowledge and friends) so happy to invest some time in helping.

• Like 4

Yea, welcome back bipps, we were just killing time till you got here

• Like 2

On 14/01/2016 at 10:51 PM, alexasigno said:

Unfortunately with this I personally become liable for the protection of all the data, even though it's all just mostly shite ;)@slice

Oh, 'cus god forbid my mankini pics should happen to make it out onto the internets...

HA, joke's on you, they're already out there!, im stuffing my foamy goodness into everyone broadbands as we speak.

• Like 3

• Admin

Thanks Bipp. Tapatalk I didn't know was down, I read a comment somewhere with someone saying it wasn't working. When i started looking into it I realised Tapatalk had updated their backend which meant without upgrading their plugin it wouldn't work. It would have been nice if they had sent an email out!

The forum upgrades are all to ensure site security, there's only been one change with cosmetics/functionality and that was the upgrade to IPB4. This was needed as IPB will move away from supporting v3 completely. Also it allows use of PHP7 which allows the board to run much faster and use less bandwidth :)

Some good points on purging, I rarely do this and should do it more often. It's hard to do on mass and some really old threads still drive quite a bit of traffic. And as for purging members we have thousands of members which register and regularly read posts but never ever post themselves. If we could just get 10% of them posting we'd have an extremely active board!

On 23/01/2016 at 0:52 AM, bippo said:

Trouble with a general forum (any manner of Yamaha model), you're naturally going to get a large number of accounts. Again consider deleting unused ones from a defined timeframe. Get a comms sent out forewarning them if worried about repercussions.

Agreed - there was one forum I joined that had a "you have no logged in for 6 months. Please login to keep your account, or it will be deleted" thing.

For this, I'd have a script that looks for 1 or 2 post accounts [that are inactive] and just purge them. Probably be tempted to nuke their threads too, even if it does mean losing information. Or find if there's a way to archive them in a safe and efficient manner

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 1/25/2016 at 0:17 AM, captf said:

Agreed - there was one forum I joined that had a "you have no logged in for 6 months. Please login to keep your account, or it will be deleted" thing.

For this, I'd have a script that looks for 1 or 2 post accounts [that are inactive] and just purge them. Probably be tempted to nuke their threads too, even if it does mean losing information. Or find if there's a way to archive them in a safe and efficient manner

Yeah good idea, i'll take a look at this, I'm sure there's something I can use to send email reminders or similar.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online