XVS950A Extra lighting?

volrider
This post is 2999 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depends on how much wattage and are they running lights or extra high beam power.

Personally I would build a separate sub loom powered directly from the battery with a specific fuse and a dedicated relay, secured in a relatively vibe/heat/water free area of the bike. Check either in the lighting switchgear or behind the headlight for the particular feed you need, be it sidelights, main etc.

Then use that circuit to trigger the relay and run the cable to wherever the lights are at the front of the bike, max reliability that way and the lights should not overload the bike as the battery will pick up the slack.

The numpty way is to piggyback straight into the respective circuit with extra load, not recommended.

Hi Cynic, thanks for the advice much appreciated, I have got a service manual on CD which shows the wiring diagram, just got to work out best place for the lights now :O)

• 2 weeks later...

The 1300 took its power for spotlights from inside the headlight bucket.

I have fitted two 6W LED spot lights to the bike took the power from inside the headlight housing works a treat and a low load wont hurt things. I got these way back in October last year on a trip to the US and intended fitting them on my old VL800 never got round to it, they come with 55W bulbs but I swapped them out for the LED ones.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Optronics-55w-Pair-Driving-Light-Kit/16680058

Low load, its not a house, even basic electrical maths says you have added another AMP to your lighting load with no way for the battery to compensate without supplying the extra through existing components adding stress to them all.

If you include your general lighting, 45w headlight, sidelight, stop/tail at 31w and some idiot lighting at 3 to 6w apiece so could be another 12w that's say 75w without including losses/electrical resistance from poor connections and old components, or 4 amps estimated basic load. All dependant on engine rpm.

Your low load has added a probably surprising 20% load to your lighting system with no fuses or circuit separation, as I said the numpty way is direct. Bikes don't have anything spare.

12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp

The fuse to the lighting is 20A which equates to 240W so I would have to have a lot of "idiot" lights to get to that limit I guess?

I do intend now I know where I can get the 12v needed for the lights to fit a fuse in place. My next job before I fit the FI2000 then when the weather clears a bit I can ride it and test it.

You asked for advice. Then reply with sarcasm, the "" says all I need and wont read your threads/posts again.

8 hours ago, Cynic said:

You asked for advice. Then reply with sarcasm, the "" says all I need and wont read your threads/posts again.

I think that is unfair as I was not being sarcastic, the "" was to highlight the idiot lights you mentioned which I found amusing.... Thanks for your advice which I will be taking on board.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online