Virago 250 intermittent electrical problem

cliverlong
This post is 2958 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Electrics, always electrics. (Except when it is water leaks at home)

Fixing earlier problems, I have cleaned the headlight flasher switch and replaced the horn. The new horn is a bit toot-tooty but it's plenty loud enough.

Now, the horn, indicators, rear brake light and neutral jewel lamp all run through the same 10A fuse. I know this because the fuse blew about a month ago.

Now with no apparent trigger and at an unknown time, but at least once, sometimes twice, per one hour ride, all the electrical devices running off that 10A fuse stop working. I know this because the indicator jewel light stops flashing, the indicators don't work and the neutral jewel light doesn't come on. Then a few minutes later everything starts working again!

Any suggestions where to start tracing the problem? Sense suggests it is a "loose connection", but where? I have very basic electric circuit knowledge, basically you measure voltage across a device and current through the device by putting the multimeter in line. And that's it! I have the circuit diagram for the bike.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Clive

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Also check for corrosion in any connections. I had issues with corroded connections recently which kept killing my fuel injector circuit.

• 2 months later...
On 23/12/2015 at 7:00 PM, neversaydie said:

As you say, cos it comes back on by itself, it looks like a dodgy connection, and as thay all go off, first port of call is the fuse holder, and Id work back from there. Check all earth connectors too

Hi

Today was a dry day and I had some time. I cleaned the chain and I crimped the two connectors for the cartridge fuse holder as you suggested, and the problem with the indicator seems to be fixed.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Clive

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online