Need some advice please guys :)

Harrywr65
This post is 3026 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,  

now, I've got a Yamaha wr125x 2015 and I need some advice!! 

Most days I take the dual carriageway home as my bike is my main form of transport! It's currently all stock apart from a leovince exhaust. I've researched for hours trying to find someone who has messed about with the gearing, I want a wee bit more topend. I know it's a 125 4 stroke and I'm lucky to get 65/70mph out of it but I'd rather sit at them speeds a little more Comfortably in 6th gear. Does anyone know what gear ratios suit this bike better for a little bit more speed?  

Thanks in advance ! 

Oh, and merry Christmas guys!! :D 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nope, what you got is about it, you have no spare horsepower. Whatever you do will hurt either acceleration or top speed and quite often both.

The gearing is a balance between all the ratio's, crank to gearbox, gearbox to chain, chain to rear wheel. They all have an effect.

There is a very real chance you could increase the gearing and go slower or even lose the use of top unless going downhill.

Not really any options, you could lose weight (not joking its about 6-10hp/stone relative) but not a lot else, low drag clothing (leather instead of flappy textile), otherwise your stuck with it really. Call it a license incentive.

• Like 4

As above really, it is what it is as they say. You could go naked to work you might not go faster but I bet the traffic would part like the Red sea ! :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slice said:

You could go naked to work you might not go faster but I bet the traffic would part like the Red sea ! :lol:

Would'nt advise that in the winter, I have heard that if little things get frost bite they can fall off.:)

• Like 1

On 23 December 2015 at 11:48 AM, meatloaf said:

Would'nt advise that in the winter, I have heard that if little things get frost bite they can fall off.:)

As you said it's an incentive to do my test cynic! 

Yeah not to keen on that idea, it could get fairly chilly! 

Are you speaking from experience meatloaf

Think he was planning to but his battery was flat..

• Like 3

Believe me Harry, It's not worth messing about with front and rear sprockets if that is what you are thinking of doing.

I've tried it and no doubt a lot of members on here have tried it and like me have reverted back to the original set-up

If memory serves me right, If you want fast from traffic lights you will have to keep changing down when going up hill.

If you want a better top speed you will be sluggish starting off.

I might be wrong but I'm sure as someone will point out but, that for every gain there must be a sacrifice. 

• Like 1

On 26 December 2015 at 8:24 PM, mike1949 said:

Believe me Harry, It's not worth messing about with front and rear sprockets if that is what you are thinking of doing.

I've tried it and no doubt a lot of members on here have tried it and like me have reverted back to the original set-up

If memory serves me right, If you want fast from traffic lights you will have to keep changing down when going up hill.

If you want a better top speed you will be sluggish starting off.

I might be wrong but I'm sure as someone will point out but, that for every gain there must be a sacrifice. 

Yea, I will leave it! Just need to hurry up and get my tests done.  Hopefully get a little ride out tomorrow morning down to cafe, haven't had it out the shed for a few weeks now !! Fingers crossed it won't be lashing it down! 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online