Shortening DEP Silencer?

YAMAHA21
This post is 3045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I love the sound of my bike but it isn't very loud compared to other two strokes I have heard, it seems to get drowned out by other vehicles very easily. I am thinking about shortening the silencer but I'm a bit worried that I will lose bottom end power especially as the dt doesn't have much anyway. Would it be alright if I shortened it about 4 inches or so? Has anyone done it to their bikes? The bike has a full DEP system.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Leave it alone, 2 stroke exhaust does more then just kill decibels they are designed to create the power , you statrt chopping it about and you coud end up with a gutless bike and the cost of another exhaust to put it right even a seized engine is highly likely if you mess with stroker exhausts , silent power is what it is all about 

8 minutes ago, mervin said:

Leave it alone, 2 stroke exhaust does more then just kill decibels they are designed to create the power , you statrt chopping it about and you coud end up with a gutless bike and the cost of another exhaust to put it right even a seized engine is highly likely if you mess with stroker exhausts , silent power is what it is all about 

But I've read on quite a few forums that if you chop it, you may lose some bottom end but gain some top end power...

beleive me messing with stroker exhausts is not something to do if you want longevity and reliability , been there done that got the holed pistons , and seized barrels ,as for forums the posters do not usually admit the engine seized within 10 mins of farting about with the exhaust

• Like 1

To be fair if its just the tailpipe and you want to emulate the really naff louty broken/badly hacked scooteresc noise, and I mean 'noise' go right ahead.

Its not like dep would have spent any time or money developing the exhaust is it.

• Like 1

Them two are bang on "     if you want more noise , go for the whole system [ BIG ONE] 

We used to take out the baffle back in the day  = louder &  pissless,   :rolleyes:

Did this to my Honda (yes I know!) back in the day, melted the piston and fucked the mains, even if you think it's a good idea and think "why not" we're all entitled to learn form our own mistakes. As above buy a COMPLETE new exhaust that has the sound you want.

4 hours ago, slice said:

Did this to my Honda (yes I know!) back in the day, melted the piston and fucked the mains, even if you think it's a good idea and think "why not" we're all entitled to learn form our own mistakes. As above buy a COMPLETE new exhaust that has the sound you want.

I'm happy to leave it seen as the DEP gives good power gains. I didn't want to go to extreme measures like buying a whole new exhaust just to change the sound a bit. 

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online