DT175mx clutch judder and rattle

johnnytheboy
This post is 3044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all yam fans

I have just finished a full restoration on my 79 dt175mx .all was well until the first test ride .when you pull away the clutch seems to judder and also it will rattle when the clutch is released and in idle. As soon as you pull the clutch in the noise goes away.

I did notice on the engine rebuid that there is play in the main rivets going throught the clutch basket only when you twist it side to side.there was no ridges or grooves in the slots in the basket either.

Any  dt fans come across this one

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't know much about the DT but if your clutch is rattling then you have to take the cover off and have a look otherwise your just guessing. If it rattles when free but stops when you pull it in then it is either the cage has worn or you forgot to tighten something up properly, did you put the ball bearing in at the end of the shaft? some folks forget that and it can mean your clutch works but will rattle cos there's no tension, just a guess mind. Well done on the rebuild tho, always nice to feel a bike start and run when you've had it in bit's.

I have the same problem on my 175mx after rebuild. Replaced clutch basket, fitted EBC heavy duty friction plates ball bearing is there, steel plates evenly spaced and lever is set to pip on crankcase. Makes a grrr noise unless clutch lever pulled in slightly and pulling off can end up with front wheel in air from judder. Did you replace clutch bearing on yours?

Regards Simon 

yep  I replaced the main thrust bush bearing on the rebuild .it must be something ti do with those main rivets as they seem loose

At a glance i think yambits do them for the rds only

When ive gor time I will drill out the rivets and order the Rd 200 rubbers. Then refit my old basket.

Unsure yet. Read a post somewhere that if screws/bolts are used they can be higher than rivets so the guy ground the heads lower after tapping threads into basket. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online