Chain lube... What's your opinions guys?

Harrywr65
This post is 2986 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

still pretty new to having a proper motorbike, a wr125x, compared to the mopeds I've had previous! 

So, I've just used up the last of my chain lube... I'm rather confused as to what brand/type is the best for this horrible English weather! What do you guys use for winter time? 

I ride everyday about 20 miles or so to work and back everyday so I'm cleaning and lubing up the chain every few days or so!

thanks guys!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Never thought about engine oil! Always a plus when I can get it for next to nothing!! Is that all you use?? 

I could be being fussy but I always feel that after a day or two it's very clunky changing gears, once I lube up the chain it's spot on, specially first? Although I've heard all yams are the same into first? 

I prefer to use the off road stuff as it clings better. Motrax or Wurth

this issue with engine oil is that it sprays you with the oil

43 minutes ago, blackhat250 said:

I use an O ring chain , there sealed,  so I just clean it with an oily rag, 

the O rings will perish unless kept lubed.

You may want to consider a chain oiler? I use a Scotoiler, turn it up slightly for winter and down for summer. Don't clean my chain unless you count when it rains, and occasional paint the chain with oil.

Bike is used all year round, 22,500 miles on the chain and looks like new. Have hardly had to adjust the chain either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

I use an O ring chain , there sealed,  so I just clean it with an oily rag, 

Yea but you don't count....He specifically mentioned " this horrible English weather! " so what he probably means is a slight drizzle and 15 degrees....bloody horrible ;  )

• Like 3

I understand your bitterness Jimmy, looking at the weather forecast you need snow shoes that float?

• Like 2

When I  was a courier I always had a Scottoiler fitted and found them to be very good , but I was covering an average of 1,000 miles a week . For commuting I'd still recommend a squirt of clean engine oil every morning or evening , whichever suits . The aerosol lubes are usually too thick to penetrate past the o-rings and wash off very quickly in the rain whereas engine oil gets to the inner rollers no bother . It's up to you but I'd rather not be spraying tenners on my chain every coupla weeks . Oh , and when I did use the Scottoiler I filled it with clean engine oil sourced from leftovers after oil changes , never had a problem .  One thing to watch with the Scottoiler is because they are so good an absolutely knackered chain and sprockets can feel quite ok , until the chain snaps !  But you'd probably have to be a courier to let it go that far , lol .

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎14‎:‎20‎:‎03, KevtheRev said:

A drop of clean engine oil from a squeezy bottle . Only takes a few seconds to oil the chain and costs next to feck all .

Not saying this is incorrect, but in bold in my owners manual it says; 'NOTICE: Do not use engine oil or any other lubricant for the drive chain as they may contain substances that could damage the O-rings.' - Perhaps this is referring to certain types of engine oil?

42 minutes ago, KevtheRev said:

Like I said man , I did for years and never had a problem . Does your bike have an o=ring chain ? They're not really necessary for smaller bikes and the non o-ring chains are considerably cheaper . Does the owners manual recommend "Yamalube" perhaps ?

:lol: actually it does not mention any brands for the chain. (Though it does for engine oil) It just says use a 'special O-ring lubricant.'

I would also assume it is fine, as I understand it, O-rings can be found inside the engine. So why they would be damaged by engine oil I'm not sure. (My bike has o-ring chain, not sure about the WR125x)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malleus said:

Not saying this is incorrect, but in bold in my owners manual it says; 'NOTICE: Do not use engine oil or any other lubricant for the drive chain as they may contain substances that could damage the O-rings.' - Perhaps this is referring to certain types of engine oil?

I reckon they mean dont use used engine oil, cos it full of crap

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online