Engine management light help?

Harrywr65
This post is 3037 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello guys!

im still new to this but I've recently got myself a '65' plate wr125x. 

Today I thought I'd give it a wash and make it pretty ! Although after I've washed it I've left it running for 5 minutes to dry off the engine and I've now got a engine management light Come up? I'm a car mechanic but have never delt with motorbikes, how do I reset it ?! 

I've only done 400miles! Thanks in advance guys! 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you done 400, and is that all the mileage on the bike. If so take it back to the dealer and let him sort it

• Like 2

Hello Jimmy, yes The bikes only done 400 miles! 

I've called Yamaha in Woking, they don't want to know and have said it won't be done under warranty and I've got to pay! Madness! I tried to explain that i can't get my head around the fact if I wash my bike it's going to come up with faults ! 

Might go down there now and see what idiot was behind the phone!

• Like 1

When you turn it on does it flash at all? or just come on and remain on? What does it do when you attempt to start it?

What did you wash it with, just a bucket and sponge or a jet washer? - I agree it almost certainly should not sustain any damage from a normal wash and should be covered under warranty.

Edited by Malleus

If you just said you washed it, don't tell them it was a jetwash. Sponge and water is all you used. The bike should cope with that. Speak with your local council Trading Standards or Citizens Advice. The sale of Goods Act 1979 should cover you....S14 Implied terms about quality or fitness.  ss2B (e) Durability

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

• Like 1

Malleus, 

All I used was a bucket and sponge! It was flashing slowly.. 

Just got back from Yamaha and the manager and I had a very heated conversation but he agreed he would get it fixed under warranty, by the time I had a smoke the light was out thank god! 

His only explanation was water had some how got into the dash and caused the light! thanks for all your help guys!

• Like 1

First thing I would want to know is WHY did water get inside the friggin dash when it's on a MOTORBIKE FFS ? So if it rains, then you have to have a bag over it do you? Guy who you spoke to must have a B+PHD that's BULLSHIT PILED HIGHER AND DEEPER.

• Like 2

Malleus, 

All I used was a bucket and sponge! It was flashing slowly.. 

Just got back from Yamaha and the manager and I had a very heated conversation but he agreed he would get it fixed under warranty, by the time I had a smoke the light was out thank god! 

His only explanation was water had some how got into the dash and caused the light! thanks for all your help guys!

I would keep a bloody close eye on this - make a note of the dates of this and the interations that you had; if it occurs again this information could be very useful. The ingress resistance on modern Yams is generally very good, so the idea that this 'just happened' seems fanciful - perhaps a protective boot has not been seated properly?

Disgusting that you ave parted with your hard-earned (or hard to be earned) and the dealer is dismissive to downright rude.....take the money and run merchants.....

• Like 1

I would keep a bloody close eye on this - make a note of the dates of this and the interations that you had; if it occurs again this information could be very useful. The ingress resistance on modern Yams is generally very good, so the idea that this 'just happened' seems fanciful - perhaps a protective boot has not been seated properly?

Disgusting that you ave parted with your hard-earned (or hard to be earned) and the dealer is dismissive to downright rude.....take the money and run merchants.....

good idea!  I've made a little note! 

Luckily enough I didn't have to fork out this time! I tried to explain to the guy that having to take my bike over to Yamaha every time I gave it a clean would be very inconvenient !! 

I'd email Yamaha Customer Service,  explain what happened and what you were told and ask them to clarify if that is a. accurate  (washing your bike can cause engine management lights to flash) and b. whether it's normal for Yamaha Dealers to say you need to pay for it before they've even looked at it? You may wish to say you're surprised that your bike getting wet can cause this issue, given Yamaha's excellent reputation for build quality and now you're worried that if your bike is caught in the rain you may end up stranded somewhere.

I'm sure they'll tell you washing your bike/riding in the rain will not damage it, and you'll have that email for future reference.

• Like 2

Good point, well made Clarke. Unfortunately todays' world survives on paper/audit trails, so embrace it and do as clarke suggests

That's a very good point! I will send them over an email tomorrow during work! Im really starting to debate wether it's worth servicing myself in the future? 

Advantages are,  1. I know its actually been done properly!  2. Financially i will be better off! 

Disadvangtes are 1. the warranty side of things as I'm a car mechanic by trade not motorbike! 2. No Yamaha stamp!

what do you guys think? 

Thanks for all the help guys! 

Harry, engineering is the same on bikes and cars, you can stamp your own book if you have to, the book is only there to tell the next owner that the servicing was done on time, as you work on vehicles anyway your more then aware what needs doing and to be honest when I service my bike I do it right cos I'm the one riding it. Keep all of your bills for parts and such cos they count for a lot as well to the next owner, a full service history is great but not when the people who do it are right toss pots.

• Like 1

Are bike warranties different from cars. As long as you use genuine Yamaha parts you should be fine, no?

Far as I know Jimmy, if you keep the bills to prove they are genuine OE parts there should be no problems, plus you can sign the book to say it's been done. mate of mine had a stamp made up to stamp the book said something like " service done properly by owner" :lol:

This could be dealer talk but when I asked the question about warranties and servicing it myself he said the warranty would be void as a qualified 'motorbike' tech should carry out the work.  im having the bike for a few years and I know il loose most likely half of what I've paid so maybe I will just service it myself!  

£100 for an oil + filter... ridiculous prices! 

Ah you see your talking with your "CAR" hat on, with bikes it's a bit like HOW MUCH? Guy on here a few weeks ago wanted a single mono shock for his FJR, are you sitting down? the price was £5000+ to supply and fitting was extra FFS !!!! Radiator on my FJR is £600+ front headlight £1600 that's if you buy OE parts, so tell your friendly Yam supplier that your quite willing to service it yourself and let the next owner decide if they want the bike or not. As for warranty it only covers stuff that really should not break in the first year anyway.

Bloody hell!! 

I never knew motorbike parts were that kind of money! I must admit I couldn't believe that a 'back street' motorbike mechanic charge roughly same prices as me! £40 - £55 an hour! 

I want to get a new rear section, as the first time i jumped on my bike, obviously jumping at the bit, my boot had scrapped it. Lovely black mark on white plastic! I've seen them to be few and fair between on thebay! God knows the prices on them either! 

Bloody hell!! 

I never knew motorbike parts were that kind of money! I must admit I couldn't believe that a 'back street' motorbike mechanic charge roughly same prices as me! £40 - £55 an hour! 

I want to get a new rear section, as the first time i jumped on my bike, obviously jumping at the bit, my boot had scrapped it. Lovely black mark on white plastic! I've seen them to be few and fair between on thebay! God knows the prices on them either! 

Cant you T-Cut this boot mark out Harry? sounds to me like you could