1983 Yamaha TR1

Jack R1
This post is 2400 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I totally agree it's a great Yam colour scheme, but I don't think it's right for the TR1. I always saw the racing block as exactly that, and the big XS' and TR1s as either black or silver.......but hey I know fek all....I'm totally enjoying your rebuild story. I've owned a xs1100 but never a TR1, Keep up the good work

21 minutes ago, jimmy said:

I totally agree it's a great Yam colour scheme, but I don't think it's right for the TR1. I always saw the racing block as exactly that, and the big XS' and TR1s as either black or silver.......but hey I know fek all....I'm totally enjoying your rebuild story. I've owned a xs1100 but never a TR1, Keep up the good work

Funny you should say that, although the speed blocks will be staying it will be changed to a charcoal grey in colour :D

On a different note, the manifold and flatslide carb have arrived with my friend in the states. I should have that in my grubby hands early in the new year. Fingers crossed I get away with the inport duty as I've paid $600 for it

Right, having been laid up long enough to not be able to do much I have decided to start doing some of the little jobs today.

So, off with the top yoke ignition ring (I want to place it elsewhere on the bike to keep the dash area as small as possible)

image_zpsgopp6cyd.jpeg

As you may be aware the top yoke on the GSXR is very thin so to put risers on would, I believe, crack it. So I have turned up some spacers top and bottom that should spread the load out a little

image_zpsjsngd5x8.jpeg
image_zpsk3ihqxyd.jpeg
image_zpso8hj02n6.jpeg

I have also made a very redumental clock bracket. This will obviously be change for something a little more pleasing to the eye but it will do to take some measurements from

image_zpskf14h7sx.jpeg
image_zpshilwqriq.jpeg

But, wtf, bu!

Your not fitting THAT are you. Awww, I was expecting the old ig mount reamed for a little lcd spedo maybe. Something subtle, something clever, a little, 'is that a...?'; ' well I would never have!' like the rest of the bike.

I'm waiting for someone to have a phone app for their dash, so the bars are totally clear, have say a clear wallet on your forearm to hold your phone with the stuff you need to know, chuck on a basic bracket for the mot man once a year.

Sorry only my view the bike is really classy, proper mods, not bolt on tat. Inspiring if I may, not many people brave enough to chop up a tr1, bet there are some purists in tears.

• Like 1

I prefer a bit of honesty rather than just pissing up my back. 

It does look large in the photo but in reality it's about 7 inches long and once positioned correctly against the bars and nestled into the light it will give the classic mixed with modern look I'm going for. It will also offer a little wind protection as well

yes mesh it, crap will fling everywhere

how's that sprocket going to be fixed on?

Not had a chance to put the mesh in the sprocket cover yet but ....

Front sprocket spark eroded for locking bolts, rear sprocket on (will be black btw) , chain cut to length and temporarily fitted, wheel and sprockets all in line. This evening has been a good evening :)

Finally got the mesh into the sprocket cover.

image_zpsmvujxim4.jpeg

Struggling to find a decent setup for footpegs now.

Tried two different ideas and both bombed, got to cut some plate now to try the next before I get pissed off and throw all my toys out of the pram :lol:

• Like 1

On 18/01/2016 at 10:03 PM, fabiostar said:

brilliant... keep it up cause im dying to see how this turns out:D

Work has slowed down due to my bread earning work being manic - bloody customers lol

Starting to think about the subframe..... Needed a secure fixing within the frame so turned up some threaded bosses to be welded through the frame for the lower subframe fixing point