1983 Yamaha TR1

Jack R1
This post is 2400 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, got myself an '83 TR1 that i wanted to bring up to date and turn into a bit of a street tracker look

First job was to offer up the new front end I will be using - a 2004 GSXR750. Replacement bearings is all that will be needed (apart from maybe reducing the height of the head locking nuts)

Then the strip down started. Electrics aside, which were a mess, there were no hidden nightmares

Over the next few days I'll be cutting the frame down and adding bracing where needed. Then unfortunately there will be a bit of delay as I am due in for a Hernia Operation (getting old sucks) on the 1st Dec

I'll keep this topic updated as and when

Edited by Jack R1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey Jack, that front end looks the dogs, you gong with wires all round or the mag wheels?

lots of bits can be got from redmax speed shop, not cheap but there's only USA/ebay after that.

yes, old sucks. Just have to get on with it mate

GSXR750 front wheel with SV650 rear (I race Minitwins so have plenty of SV wheels about lol). Would love to keep the wire but alas these ones are 18" so can't get good rubber for them.
Once the build is complete I'll start looking around for spoked wheels but I don't want to hold the build up by waiting

Looks good jack,   on about USA,    anyone  noticed " the price of shipping is crazy,  I mean  even small items, , I hear its ebay taking a cut off the shipping,  greedy bastards,  am needin an exhaust,  found loads in states, £50.  but another £75 to ship,  :eusa_snooty:

Well the 160 rear tyre on an SV650 wheel seems to fit. Just need to make some spacers, get a slightly shorter spindle and / or machine a little of the sprocket carrier for alignment

image_zpsrrzdmjev.jpeg

Gutted the seat unit didn't turn up before the weekend (hernia op on Tuesday puts pay to any work for a little while) but pleased with the general line on it

image_zpsbd7twt2o.jpeg

image_zpsc7z4rnns.jpeg

image_zps9kmksjje.jpeg

A wet, windy and miserable Sunday meant I had some things to do around the house. Only really had time to start playing around with the front mudguard (it will be black btw). I think I need to shorten the front and completely semi circle the front and rear. Any thoughts ?

Edited by Jack R1

More goodies turning up :D.
Headlight_zps6ffrhto8.jpg

At the moment its all just a matter of making and bolting together so I can go and get the custom loom and exhaust made up. Then its a matter of stripping down for anodising and / or powder coating.

Due to a hernia op last Tuesday I cannot get the thing to work to start welding up the rear subframe but fingers crossed that will change soon

• Like 1

Having spoken to the exhaust man yesterday it would appear a Titanium Pie Cut exhause system is on the cards

Also ordered the single intake manifold and 40mm flatslide carb from Canada (via the USA as a friend is holidaying over there for Christmas and is bringing it back for me)

• Like 1

love the colour of that tank, proper yamaha. the front guard as you said id shorten the front and round of the rear of it... keep at this thing is gona look proper good:D